First show tips!?!?!

MakMurrayFarm

Chirping
May 8, 2019
Anyone wanna give me some first show tips?

Modern game bantams & Silkies are what I'll be showing :) they must be checked in tomorrow ( Thursday) , then they will be judged friday 8am!

I put a little vetrx on the comb and wattles to make them shine. You washed them right? Always make sure they are vaccinated before or at the show or else you can’t enter. Let me think of more things that would help

Washing tonight !!!! I entered on a bit of a whim! So I'm behind a little lol

I put a little vetrx on the comb and wattles to make them shine. You washed them right? Always make sure they are vaccinated before or at the show or else you can’t enter. Let me think of more things that would help

Hello! For future reference if you show again, I have some tips for your moderns!
First off, I’d suggest bathing the birds a week before the show! I use a soapy water bucket to clean, then a vinegar/water bucket to remove all soap, t n a final warm water rinse bucket. I gets them clean, and gives them time to preen and reproduce the oils the bath stripped away, making them them bright feathered.

You also want them to be clean from poop when in the show pen, so it’s a good idea to bring baby wipes and clean their feet and legs, comb, and a LIGHT wipe down (Don’t get them wet, just gently wipe their back and wings down to remove dust).
Moderns should pose for the judge. One show I went to, a comment from the judge was that the champion modern was the only one that posed or showed interest when he tapped on the pen/tried to get their attention. This posing can be achieved by some treats! I use Beniful tasty morsel beef dog treats, and slowly get them to eat our of my hand/off the ground, until they figure out it is a tasty food. Then, I start working with them to “reach” in order to get the treat, meaning standing up tall, on their toes preferably, to get the treat, not jumping. It helps to get them to hold that pose for a few seconds before giving Nd the treat. Now of course, the judge won’t have a treat. So switch between actually having a treat, and an empty hand to always have them interested in what’s in your hand.
Hope this helps! Moderns are such a fun breed to show! How’d you do at this past show?

Back
Top Bottom