First thing out of the tractor...cedar mulch dust bath???

patman75

Songster
10 Years
Apr 17, 2009
Michigan - in the thumb
When I get home from work I try to give my girls some free range time. For an hour or two. Time is limited.

Instead of free ranging the first thing they do is go over to one of my landscape beds and dust bathe in cedar mulch. And they will stay there forever unless I kick them out get them to start foraging around.

Correct me if I'm wrong...I need to clarify a few things.

cedar help keep pests down?? I have checked them over and they look pest free. Is too much cedar baths a bad thing? Am I missing anything?

Or like anyone a nice bath just feels good after being in a tractor for a day or 2.
big_smile.png

Here is a picture of them in there bathing glory.
big_smile.png

28412_chicken_0132.jpg

thanks for the help.

I believe cedar mulch would be the same as the shavings, just in different form.. The oils in cedar is toxic to chickens... You need to keep them away from it or change the mulch out to something that will not harm them...

Goddess
jumpy.gif

I think they like that it's dry and sunny. The mulch looks old enough that it shouldn't cause the chickens any harm.

You could try giving them a kitty litter box with sand, peat moss, and/or stove ash mixed together in their tractor to dust bath in during the day.

They look very happy and relaxed in the pic.

I believe that it is only the fumes of the cedar that harm the chickens--outside there is not a problem. I know people who use it in the runs--just not the coop. When my girls find a way around the fence and into the yard the cedar mulch in my flower beds is their favorite hangout
hmm.png
It makes a humongous mess--but they seem to like bathing in that more than eating the plants, so I guess it at least gives my garden a fighting chance
roll.png

If they're in a tractor (on the grass?) they they probably don't have much interest in ranging and just want to bathe and lounge about. I know mine spend more time bathing in dirt than they do forraging when they're out and about. Sweet things! Nice photo

Back
Top Bottom