First time baby chicks!

NikaStar

Chirping
Feb 21, 2022
Hi everyone! I have to broody chickens. A total of 5 fertilized eggs. 1 chick has hatched! Yay! This is our first time and a first for our chickens :)
I am super excited and worried.
I have seen that we have a rat living under our chicken coop. I want to protect our children at night and during day, but I don't want to seperate them from the other flock. I have made a "cage" are for mom and chicks. Attached are pictures. Is this OK? Or do I need to do something more?
Thank for you any feedback.

P.s. yes I know I must do something about this rat.but right now I want to first do protection. I know 1 rat means more. So until they are all out I need to make sure my chicks are safe.
20220713_111635.jpg
20220712_125221.jpg

Congrats on the hatching, and OH NO on the rat!

Getting rid of rats was a major undertaking for me, and I hope you are able to disperse yours quickly. I won't bother with the lengthy list of reasons why you have to get rid of your intruder, but the sooner the better.

Congrats on the hatching, and OH NO on the rat!

Getting rid of rats was a major undertaking for me, and I hope you are able to disperse yours quickly. I won't bother with the lengthy list of reasons why you have to get rid of your intruder, but the sooner the better.
May I ask how you got rid of yours?

We also have lots of homes with chicken coops and most of them are in sheds with obviously rat problems. So I want to try to best protect my coop from invaders even after I "get rid" of mine. Any suggestions?
Rat aversion such as cat hair or peppermint, vinegar and/or etc. Work?

Welcome to BYC and congrats on the babies:wee
I don’t have experience with rats but I like the protection you made while you come up with a more permanent solution to the intruders. good luck with your chicks.

I feel like a rat could squeeze through the top or knock it over. This could be a really great idea or insanely stupid idea, can you attract the rat to a different location with something else it could eat so it won't resort to your chicks. I am not a fan but if desperate glue trap? Obviously out of reach from the birds

It took me a long time and many tries to get rid of rats. I tried all the natural, non-lethal methods I could for as long as I could -- plugging the holes, using essential oils, adding hardware cloth to the dirt-floored coops, storing food in metal containers, feeding birds far away from their coops.

I finally had to go the kill route -- which I hated. I had what looked to be giant, spring-loaded mousetraps that I baited by hot gluing dog kibble so the rats would stay long enough to die. But, more successfully, I got an electronic rat trap that lures them in and didn't require me to touch corpses.

I don't use poison because I don't want any unintentional victims.

Good luck, NikaStar; it likely won't be fast or easy.

I feel like a rat could squeeze through the top or knock it over. This could be a really great idea or insanely stupid idea, can you attract the rat to a different location with something else it could eat so it won't resort to your chicks. I am not a fan but if desperate glue trap? Obviously out of reach from the birds
Where it can "get into" from the top is how I open the cage area to put food and water for the chicks and mama's. I close the coop at night. I have plastic around the coop where chicken wire is. I hope this helps. 🙏

For now I blocked all entrances that I could think of with bricks. Also added used cat litter under the coopand sealed it up with bricks. As mentioned above.

Back
Top Bottom