First time broody help!!!

Flanni81

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 7, 2012
Saskatchewan
So I recently acquired a flock of "barnyard bantams hens" ( not impressed, but the only person who would sell straight hens and it was a 2 hour drive to pick them up). They are all 1.5 years old and exposed to 7 Americauna Roos (Ive been giving extra protein to get their feathers back). Anyways, my OEGB roo has been quite happy to have mating age hens, so this is the 3rd day off eggs for me and one hen went broody and is sitting on 8 eggs all from her original flock mates.

Question one, what chance do I have of the old roo being the father and what chance is my OEGB the father? 3 days eggs, been exposed to my OEGB for 3.5 days.

Question 2, she was sitting on all, but now is sitting on 4 , with 4 out, is this normal?

Question 3, what are they? They are all chunky and white, with black tails. Sore have straight combs and some have rose combs. ( can't load photos from my phone).

They are definitely from your rooster. The only exception would be if they actually laid eggs for you the very day you brought them home. It isn't all that uncommon for a hen, especially a first timer, to decide to keep her brood smaller. Most hens will select a number of eggs to sit on. As far as what they are, without a picture, I would have no clue. You don't have to let her sit on eggs if you don't really want chicks. Just make sure you pick up the eggs every day. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom