First time broody hen rejected chicks in the middle of hatch!

Mamahenof3

Chirping
Jun 1, 2020
So my first time broody mama, a year old orpington, has been on 4 eggs faithfully. Yesterday was day 21. 3 began to hatch. I checked on her periodically, she seemed relaxed. I could hear some peeping under her and she was just sitting calmly. Checked a little later and she had a dead chick next to her. Blood around it blood on her beak. I figured she had killed it, but was maybe just confused and too rough cause she's new at this. Decided to keep a close eye but continue to let her try. The next time i went out i heard loud desperate peeps. #2 had just hatched. Still pretty wet. And mama had abandoned the nest. She moved over to a different nesting box and looked panicked.

So i removed baby #2 and egg that was started hatching. Had only pipped. Put in a brooder overnight. Woke up to two happy fluffy chicks. The last egg is still under her and has not pipped yet. What do i do? Hand raise them? Try and reintroduce? Anyone been through anything similar?

I think your safest bet is to raise the chicks by hand. Put them in a brooder box with heat (recommend the brinsea ecoglow rather than a heat lamp), food and water.
Yes they are in with the ecoglow now (love that thing and so happy we had it on hand!) I am probably gonna build them a brooder in with my big girls so they are safe but together.

Just make sure there is a barrier to keep the separate from your big girls. Without a mama hen to protect them, they are highly likely to be seriously injured or killed. You should wait until they are 5 months old to fully introduce to the flock.

Back
Top Bottom