First Time Broody Hen

Whittehitt

In the Brooder
Jun 6, 2022
Howdy guy, new user here! So we have a first time broody hen who we are attempting to let raise four guinea keets. We are completely new to chickens ourselves, we first brought home this hen and a few others as chicks last spring. This is our first time having a broody in our flock as well.

So we attempted to give the chicks to her the day we brought them home from a local farm store – this was during the day (I’ve read mixed reviews on whether to give them to her at night so she can’t see them or give them to her during the day so you can watch and make sure they’re bonding). Being ours and our hens first time, we decided to go for the daytime method so we could watch. We placed them under her wings and we noticed whenever they would peep she would turn her head and sometimes peck them – we’re still not sure what counts as a “stay under me or get under me peck” and an aggressive “you’re not my baby” peck? If anyone could shed light on this that would be wonderful. After leaving them for awhile (maybe 10 minutes tops as I was nervous), I came back to find two of the four keets running around the coop – I decided to take them back inside to their brooder.

I’m wanting to try this again as I’d love for her to raise them and for the guineas to really be incorporated into the flock at a young age. Any tips? I’m going to make some kind of area just for the hen and the keets in the coop this evening after work and watch them again. I’ve seen a few videos of how hens react and I feel like her pecks weren’t as aggressive as they initially seemed to someone who has never seen this before.

Also – we did take the eggs out from under her before adding the babies. She has only been broody for about 6 days now, so I’m aware I jumped the broody gun and bought keets too early.

Many hens need that time and to have them hatch under them. Since you are giving her another species, and she's not an experienced broody, nor has been at it long I personally wouldn't give them back. I've never seen a hen peck at chicks to make them go under her.

Hens do peck chicks to go under them, especially the naughty independent ones, but I also agree the first time around for everyone involved is possibly not a good idea. I have heard keets are more fragile and stupider than chicks. I've never had keets but I've had many broodies raise chicks.
I'd raise them in the brooder, let your hen hatch and raise chicks for the whole process if you want, and try again when she's more experienced if you're wanting more guineas.

I agree with @TheFatBlueCat since that broody is a first timer AND you are putting live chicks under her, she is probably not experienced enough to care for live chicks she didn't hatch. I would let her hatch her own clutch if she commits to broodiness, but if you don't have a rooster or fertile eggs, you may have to break her. A little tip, if you let her sit on a clutch and they hatch successfully, then you have a successful broody that in the future, will most likely go broody again, and that could be a perfect time to have her hatch out keets or raise keets you have bought for her. I usually hope for a successful broody, then give her some good chicken/poultry eggs I really want in the flock when she goes broody again. You can even try shipped eggs if you want. Good Luck

Back
Top Bottom