First time broody questions!

Sgsf

Songster
9 Years
May 4, 2010
Well, it's finally happened! I thought she was just laying another egg, but hours went by and she was still out there. Even the next morning I got up, she was still out there. And I got back from school, 6:38 (bus also) AM to 4:00PM, and she was still out there. So, she is finally broody! There are about 6-8 eggs out in her nesting spot. I was told to just let them build up, making her more likely to sit.

Does she need food and water right beside her? I put out a small container of water for her to drink out of which is right by here, and there is a little bit of food. But, since her nesting spot is close to one of the feeding spots, there is a big bowl of water and feed about 3 feet away from her. Do you think she will get up and use that? Is there need for the food and water RIGHT beside her?
Answer:

Sometimes other chickens will get near her, and just get some hay off her (Silkies = really friendly and nice chickens, they are like mothers
tongue.png
) - But some chickens were getting near her, and she made this noise I have NEVER heard before. Should I keep the chickens away?

Answer:

Is it bad having about 6-7 eggs on her one nesting spot? Her laying on all of them, is that normal?
Answer:

Some eggs in her nest are about a week or two old. Will these eggs have a possibility that they will still hatch?
Answer:

Whenever I get near her, or stick my hand near her - Her feathers stand up on her neck JUST A LITTLE BIT, and she only pecked me once. I thought they were suppose to stand up high and act really protective. Just making sure she IS broody, and not having something wrong with her instead.
Answer:

If there are any questions you'd like to ask me, PLEASE do so.
smile.png

Last edited:
Does she need food and water right beside her? I put out a small container of water for her to drink out of which is right by here, and there is a little bit of food. But, since her nesting spot is close to one of the feeding spots, there is a big bowl of water and feed about 3 feet away from her. Do you think she will get up and use that? Is there need for the food and water RIGHT beside her?
Answer: They will usually get up once a day or so and eat. If you become unsure that she is doing that, it works to take her off the nest once a day to inspire her to go eat.

Sometimes other chickens will get near her, and just get some hay off her (Silkies = really friendly and nice chickens, they are like mothers
tongue.png
) - But some chickens were getting near her, and she made this noise I have NEVER heard before. Should I keep the chickens away?

Answer: That's just the velociraptor coming out of her.
wink.png
It sounds to me like she's doing a pretty good job of keeping the others away from her. She's just being protective. When i can, i try to isolate new broodies with their eggs so that no one bothers them.

Is it bad having about 6-7 eggs on her one nesting spot? Her laying on all of them, is that normal?
Answer: That sounds normal to me.

Some eggs in her nest are about a week or two old. Will these eggs have a possibility that they will still hatch?
Answer: They might, but they are less likely to. It is normally recommended to start incubation by day ten after an egg is laid.

Whenever I get near her, or stick my hand near her - Her feathers stand up on her neck JUST A LITTLE BIT, and she only pecked me once. I thought they were suppose to stand up high and act really protective. Just making sure she IS broody, and not having something wrong with her instead.
Answer: Not all broodies are horribly violent.
wink.png
If she stays on the eggs all day and all night, then that's your ticket. Congratulations!​

She will get off the nest when she needs to, to eat and drink and poop, usually once a day. She does not need food and water closer than 3'.

She will do fine around the others. Some people separate the broody when the eggs are about to hatch, and some do not. Up to you. If you keep her with the others, you need to check under her for extra eggs, as others will lay on top of her and/or she will steal others' eggs.

6 or 7 is probably a good average-sized clutch.

What will tell you best whether she is broody is whether she remains on the nest for several days, except for brief times off to eat, etc. I move my broodies daily to get eggs and I never get pecked, but I pick them up toward the back of their sides so it is hard for them to get me. They always fluff their neck feathers, sort of spread out, and growl at me. They are used to my moving them. They just sit where I put them for a minute, then get back on the nest.

It is best to mark the eggs you want her to hatch (a Sharpie works very well.) If you don't know the age of the eggs, you won't know when to toss the duds, and it's more likely you will have a rotten one explode, which is a MESS.

When I decide to let a broody hatch some eggs, I always select them myself, all at the same time, and I choose the largest ones because the chick is less likely to have trouble developing and getting out. Thing is, the hen will abandon the nest after some have hatched -- she might give the others a day or so to hatch, but soon she will leave them to raise the chicks, show them where to east and drink, stay near them, etc. So I make sure the eggs are the same age, at least within 24 hours.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom