First Time Broody

eighthens525

Chirping
Nov 12, 2019
Bakersville, North Carolina
I am so excited to finally have a broody hen. I have a smallish coop but have an outdoor area that is enclosed and so I am planning on leaving her to hatch where she's comfortable and safe inside the coop but my question is, should I move her and the chicks to a separate area by themselves to let them get a little bigger once they hatch? Do you put out grower for the babies or do you just let them forage? If I put out grower with everyone else I'm afraid the bigger girls will just eat that instead of their layer. Looking for tips on how to manage new flock.

How small is your coop? First thing you need to do is make sure you have more than enough room to integrate new chicks. I would watch them the first couple of days. Usually mom is good at keeping them safe from the others buy sometimes she doesn't. I feed all flock to my entire flock with oyster shell on the side. I even feed all flock to any new chicks.

If you're wanting momma hen to raise them I'd separate them to a safe area away from the rest of the flock. There she can raise her chicks in a more peaceful and safe environment. For feed, I give my chicks Purina Flockraiser until laying then you can do layer pellets.

If you're wanting momma hen to raise them I'd separate them to a safe area away from the rest of the flock. There she can raise her chicks in a more peaceful and safe environment. For feed, I give my chicks Purina Flockraiser until laying then you can do layer pellets.
Question: every time I move a broody she breaks. Should I wait a couple of days of her being broody before moving her?

How small is your coop? First thing you need to do is make sure you have more than enough room to integrate new chicks. I would watch them the first couple of days. Usually mom is good at keeping them safe from the others buy sometimes she doesn't. I feed all flock to my entire flock with oyster shell on the side. I even feed all flock to any new chicks.
I have 3 nesting boxes but I will probably have to expand the coop size before they get full sized. Do the chicks sleep with the mama in the box for a while?

I have had issues in the past with giving the whole flock the all flock but the layers weren't supplementing with oyster shell and they stopped laying. I would rather not keep the younger ones separate until they can tolerate layer feed though. Any other ideas? Should I just not worry about it and hope the older ones eat enough oyster shells?

I have 3 nesting boxes but I will probably have to expand the coop size before they get full sized. Do the chicks sleep with the mama in the box for a while?
D03F270ED1B8_1656857928969.png
This is the size of my coop. I have 10 hens and one rooster and they all fit in there. Food is inside in bucket and water is outside. Broody is in the middle box. Should I leave her in there with the chicks and they will figure out the space or move her to a less secure outdoor enclosure after hatching?

I used a large dog crate for my mommas to raise the chicks. I would not feed chicks layer pellets because it can cause organ failure in them. I'd wait until they're older but the decision is up to you.

Back
Top Bottom