First time building a chicken coop! Any tips?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by oreganic, Apr 7, 2012.

1. oreganic

oreganic New Egg

Apr 7, 2012
    Hi! I am very excited to be building a chicken coop this spring. I have picked out a design and am looking forward to tackling this new project. The only problem is that I have never built anything before. Any tips on types of wood, tricks to measuring, insulation, etc. Would be greatly appreciated! [​IMG]

2. mikecnorthwest

mikecnorthwest Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    My Coop
    What type of climate are you in? With that open front design I'd be concerned about the interior becoming soaked during wet weather.

3. KimKimWilliamso

KimKimWilliamso Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2012
    Nanton, AB, Canada
    Soaked dung wet weather, freezing during winter months unless your somewhere like Florida.

I am just building my new coop as well, and I had started a thread called Rookie Coop Building Mistakes. You should check it out, I got some great advice there :) Just search for the thread.

1 person likes this.
  4. zookeeper15133

zookeeper15133 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    SW PA
    Besides wet weather, don't use chicken wire. Use hardware cloth or 1x2 welded wire. There are open front coops, but they are much larger. If you are in Arizona or somewhere very hot and dry all that ventilation is ok, But you should still make plans for a front cover for wind storms etc. Maybe make a front awning that can drop down and cover the front. Attach it to the coop with hinges It will also provide more shade.

Good luck!

5. oreganic

oreganic New Egg

Apr 7, 2012
    I am so glad you said that I live in Oregon, very wet weather!

6. RoseUrsem

RoseUrsem Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2015
    Hi there.
    It looks fantastic!
    What materials did you use?
    How did you build it?
    We want chickens and want to build a hutch, and got inspired by yours, so want to make one similar. [​IMG]
    Do you think you could help us?
    Thank you so much!!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by