First Time Building Coop, Need Some Advice

BeanChicken

Hatching
Nov 6, 2016
So I've decide to build myself a coop, and I found one design I really liked: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-coop-4

I like the big doors for access as well as the narrow profile (I have about four feet to work with). Is this a reasonable design to give a shot at constructing? Are there any pointers anyone might have?

EDIT: Also, I'm only planning on 2, maybe 3 hens. And I'm in New Orleans, so heat might be an issue, but not really cold.

Last edited:
First off,
welcome-byc.gif

For a narrow space, the design looks pretty good to me. The wide doors should make cleaning it out fairly easy, just make sure you have a way of reaching into the far corners and roost in case you have to get ahold of one of your birds.

The run would be too short for my taste; I prefer one tall enough to stand up in. And with a taller run, you can add a roost bar for your girls to hop up onto.

Good luck with your build!

Welcome! It's cute, but overbuilt for your climate, with way too little ventilation. A three sided shed type structure, with hardware cloth over all openings, and a roof overhang and covered run, makes more sense to me. As large as possible, and walk-in tall. Mary

I think the roost is too high over the poop board, not sure how they got down....mine is only 8" above.
Wonder how this coop actually functioned in the long run?
Love the self locking pop door, I used that design...fun to make and works well.
Agrees.... make run walk in height.

It's small....might work fine for a few birds, but adding birds down the road would be problematic.

Back
Top Bottom