First Time Chick Mommy...!!!

janeyiswright

Hatching
Dec 14, 2015
Hackberry, TX
Hi, My name is Janey.

I've wanted chickens for the last two years and I've been researching and learning about chickens over that time. I designed over and over what I wanted my coop to look like and where I would put it on our 3 acres and researched the breeds I would want but I never pulled the trigger.

Then about 4 weeks ago my mom called me and told me that my brother got 5 chicks from a friend of his wife. She said that they had them in a box(8x8) in the bathroom and his mother in law was mad that they got them. They both work and go to school full time and have 2 kids under 5. I told my mom that if they wanted to re-home them I would take them.

Then a day later she called me back and said one of the chicks died. And that she was bringing them to me. She was in LA and I'm in TX, an 8 hour drive. She drove them here and dropped them off with my husband as I was already at work. I ask him and my daughter to send me a picture as I was so excited. They sent me a video and some pictures. But one of the chicks cause me to worry. She was lethargic and was very floppy like.

I called my husband (Edward) and was asking him questions about it. But he came to the recuse, he moved them to a larger box, got a heat lamp from our warehouse, gave them fresh water, and keep them safe until I could get home.

I really wanted to document their life (as my Facebook friends I fear are over the countless pictures and videos of my baby chicks). And my experiences as a first time chick mommy. I have come to really love these chicks and their personalities.

I've attached before and after pictures to show the difference from the day I got them and the next day. And the video my daughter sent me and as you can see from it why I was worried.

Hi Janey!
welcome-byc.gif

You've come to the right place to talk CHICKEN to your hearts content!
D.gif

So I'm assuming the one chick that was weak is okay now? I'm thinking it's because they didn't have a heat source. Chicks can't regulate their own heat so this stress could definitely cause them problems and even to die!

The other thing here is that I believe you have been given Cornish X chicks...meat birds. They would be ready to process in about 12-16 weeks. I'm not sure because of how they are bred to grow that you can just keep them as pets and NOT process them when they reach that age.

Hopefully someone else will comment here...but I'm feeling pretty confident that is what I am seeing. They will want to eat A LOT.

Hi Janey,
welcome-byc.gif

Glad you got the chicks stabilized, they are cute little fuzz butts. If you haven't already done so, check out the Learning Center, it will be helpful in answering questions you may have (and always feel free to ask questions too):
https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Just a few tips:
* Set the heat lamp at one end of the brooder so the chicks can move from warmer to cooler areas as they wish
* Watch for pasty butt and if it shows up, clean off as soon as possible
* Put some marbles or clean stones in their water dish so they don't drown
* Feed them a good quality chick feed

The Learning Center covers all that and a lot more in detail.

Good luck to you and the littles!

Hi Janey!  :welcome

You've come to the right place to talk CHICKEN to your hearts content!  :cd

So I'm assuming the one chick that was weak is okay now?  I'm thinking it's because they didn't have a heat source.  Chicks can't regulate their own heat so this stress could definitely cause them problems and even to die!

The other thing here is that I believe you have been given Cornish X chicks...meat birds.  They would be ready to process in about 12-16 weeks.  I'm not sure because of how they are bred to grow that you can just keep them as pets and NOT process them when they reach that age.

Hopefully someone else will comment here...but I'm feeling pretty confident that is what I am seeing.  They will want to eat A LOT.

I've found out that they are white leghorns. I hope I can keep them as pets, my goal was to Not eat them (unless there is a zombie apocalypse, jk). Yes I'm pretty sure they had a lot of stress and believe we would have lost her if action wasn't taken fast. But they are all doing great and thriving.

Thanks to everyone, you guys are great!!
1f423.png

Back
Top Bottom