First-time chicken mom

Welcome to the coop! I use the Forums and Articles tabs at the top of the page to do research. You can get lost for hours. It's nice to know you are minutes away from getting help with questions and emergencies! I always check in the "What's New" section as well at the top of this page. This way I can read how I may have a similar question or help give some advice.

We
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

A. Yes, I am new to owning and raising chickens. We have had some of our flock for a little over a year and others we have gradually introduced within the last 6 months.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

A. We currently have 11 hens, 1 rooster, 1 four-month-old barred rock cockerel, 2 two-month-old cockerels we hatched, 1 two-month-old pullet we hatched, 5 one-month-old pullets we purchased, & a pair of starlight green eggers we are having difficulty sexing. We also just hatched 5 chicks and purchased 3 barred rock chicks.

(3) What breeds do you have?

A. We don't discriminate with our birds, we look for quality and have a mixture of high-yield egg-producing chickens. A few of the breeds we have are Rhode Island red, Isa brown, Cochins, Dominique, barred rock, New Hampshire/Rhode island red mix, olive egger, easter egger, white rock, leghorn, black sex-linked.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

A. My favorite part is getting to watch their personalities and how they interact with each other. Our head rooster is still young but he's got such a sweet personality.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

A. I'm a full-time SAHM, and I also run my own cottage baking business from home.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

A. My husband and I met while serving in the Army together, we deployed and within the year after we returned we were married. We are celebrating 10 years of marriage this November. Our family grew in 2016 and 2019, we have two handsome young boys who are amazing. As far as fur babies we have a female german shepherd, a female pitbull, and three male cats. We care for a neighborhood stray but don't claim her as a member of the family.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D

A. I was googling answers about chickens and when I started reading some of the posts I decided this was the community for me. I look forward to learning a lot.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

A. Yes, I am new to owning and raising chickens. We have had some of our flock for a little over a year and others we have gradually introduced within the last 6 months.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

A. We currently have 11 hens, 1 rooster, 1 four-month-old barred rock cockerel, 2 two-month-old cockerels we hatched, 1 two-month-old pullet we hatched, 5 one-month-old pullets we purchased, & a pair of starlight green eggers we are having difficulty sexing. We also just hatched 5 chicks and purchased 3 barred rock chicks.

(3) What breeds do you have?

A. We don't discriminate with our birds, we look for quality and have a mixture of high-yield egg-producing chickens. A few of the breeds we have are Rhode Island red, Isa brown, Cochins, Dominique, barred rock, New Hampshire/Rhode island red mix, olive egger, easter egger, white rock, leghorn, black sex-linked.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

A. My favorite part is getting to watch their personalities and how they interact with each other. Our head rooster is still young but he's got such a sweet personality.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

A. I'm a full-time SAHM, and I also run my own cottage baking business from home.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

A. My husband and I met while serving in the Army together, we deployed and within the year after we returned we were married. We are celebrating 10 years of marriage this November. Our family grew in 2016 and 2019, we have two handsome young boys who are amazing. As far as fur babies we have a female german shepherd, a female pitbull, and three male cats. We care for a neighborhood stray but don't claim her as a member of the family.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D

A. I was googling answers about chickens and when I started reading some of the posts I decided this was the community for me. I look forward to learning a lot.
Welcome here Mamma. Firstly thank you both for your service and our freedom. 🇺🇸. You can learn bunches from this forum.

Back
Top Bottom