First time chicken owner and I need ANY help with chicken coops & FOX proofing :)

brittwalters

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 21, 2013
So, this is my first time owning chicks. I was supposed to raise them for my brother-in-law to keep and eventually eat.. but they have NAMES now, so they're just going to have to stay with me
tongue.png
well, they're maybe 3 or 4 weeks old now.. but I want to start at least figuring out what I'm going to do when it comes time to put these little guys outside. I use to have ducks, but no matter what I did I could not outsmart the foxes in my area. I threw away all the supplies I had for my ducks a LONG time ago (dog kennel with roofing and such, home-made coop from a friends, fencing along the dog kennel... etc.) so I'm really starting from scratch here.. especially since I wasn't supposed to keep these cute little guys. Anyways, I am in NO WAY a DIY person. I am an order the coop, follow the directions w/ the pre-made holes and such kind of person... so I am looking for a GOOD DEAL on a coop. Every site I look at is SOOOO expensive and I really would rather not be abused on a price, but there's no way I have time to figure out how to make one and actually do it correctly. So if you guys know anywhere with a good deal on coops (I live in MD, btw). I planned on buying one online, so if you know a site that would be awesome! Also, if you have any ideas on keeping foxes, coons, etc. AWAY from my little babies that would be great also! Thank you all
big_smile.png

Where in MD are you? (I live between B-more and Frederick)

Have you checked craigslist for used coops? In general you have cheap coops, well built coops. and prefabricated coops- pick any two because you are unlikely to find one which is cheap, sturdy, and isn't something you build yourself.

If you are buying online, then the fox-proofing is really up to the manufacturer of the prefab. Some use hardware cloth, some use poultry wire. The best precaution against predators is putting your chickens in the coop for the night. When the sun goes down, my birds go in. Make sure the coop has adequate room if all your birds are in there. If you wanted to strengthen the coop, you could screw on some metal or wooden pieces to keep animals out, however this will probably cost you with aesthetics.

I am in a constant battle with raccoons, groundhogs, neighborhood cats...I use various animal-friendly means to keep them out. I just made sure that my wire was firmly attached. I tested it by trying to push through it with my hand...with full force...and it held sturdy. Another suggestion I was given was to attach metal to the inside of the coop (like create a liner), and weld on the ends of the wire to the metal...which seemed like a lot of work. My friend did this to his coop and has not had any problems, however my staple gun job also held up well. Good Luck! Hopefully this helps!

Where in MD are you? (I live between B-more and Frederick)

Have you checked craigslist for used coops? In general you have cheap coops, well built coops. and prefabricated coops- pick any two because you are unlikely to find one which is cheap, sturdy, and isn't something you build yourself.
I'm in Baltimore also. Right outside of White Marsh. I have checked CL and can't find any that I like. Also, moving to to my house would be a large problem.

If you are buying online, then the fox-proofing is really up to the manufacturer of the prefab. Some use hardware cloth, some use poultry wire. The best precaution against predators is putting your chickens in the coop for the night. When the sun goes down, my birds go in. Make sure the coop has adequate room if all your birds are in there. If you wanted to strengthen the coop, you could screw on some metal or wooden pieces to keep animals out, however this will probably cost you with aesthetics.

I am in a constant battle with raccoons, groundhogs, neighborhood cats...I use various animal-friendly means to keep them out. I just made sure that my wire was firmly attached. I tested it by trying to push through it with my hand...with full force...and it held sturdy. Another suggestion I was given was to attach metal to the inside of the coop (like create a liner), and weld on the ends of the wire to the metal...which seemed like a lot of work. My friend did this to his coop and has not had any problems, however my staple gun job also held up well. Good Luck! Hopefully this helps!
I wanted to put a coop inside another dog kennel (with a top) so they had more room to roam. And then just leave them in the coop at night. I just can't find a coop that would hold around 6 chickens that isn't a TON of money and not built well. But I will definitely make sure the wire is sturdy, I think that was a LARGE reason why my ducks kept getting eaten

You should read the coops section here on BYC. Many people love to photograph and describe exactly how they built their coops. Also, there are pallet coops for those who wish to collect them and build cheaply. Your brother could help you put one together. Once you really get into chickens and want other breeds, you might decide to part with the older ones to make room for new ones.

You should read the coops section here on BYC. Many people love to photograph and describe exactly how they built their coops. Also, there are pallet coops for those who wish to collect them and build cheaply. Your brother could help you put one together. Once you really get into chickens and want other breeds, you might decide to part with the older ones to make room for new ones.
I have been reading some DIY project coops, but I really am not the "builder" type. He doesn't necessarily support the idea of chickens as pets, so he's not really keen on helping me do anything with these little guys now. I have 4 now and they're already a handful! I do love them though! Which is why I'm trying to find a coop, not too expensive, to buy for them. I really do thing it would end up being more money for me to try and build a coop rather than just buying one. But I already know I'm going to want more babies, so I'm also looking for a coop large enough to house 12.. that way they'll have space also!

I have been reading some DIY project coops, but I really am not the "builder" type. He doesn't necessarily support the idea of chickens as pets, so he's not really keen on helping me do anything with these little guys now. I have 4 now and they're already a handful! I do love them though! Which is why I'm trying to find a coop, not too expensive, to buy for them. I really do thing it would end up being more money for me to try and build a coop rather than just buying one. But I already know I'm going to want more babies, so I'm also looking for a coop large enough to house 12.. that way they'll have space also!
Any friends who might be able to create a frame to cover with plywood? It wouldn't have to be intricate...just a circular saw and screw gun should do the trick.

Back
Top Bottom