First time chicken owner! coop photos from start to end pic heavy

MerkySky

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 14, 2013
Hi,
well I got excited about getting chickens so I can have my own eggs. So I went on a chicken hunt. And ended up getting 4 Giant Jersey Blacks because I love extra Large brown eggs, then I got 2 red leg horns I think, sorry we were just kinda picking them as I was reading what ones would not brood and would be good layers I have my list some place. Then I got two Bantams because my step daughter thought they were cute and they are one has fury legs. fistty little things they are but I enjoy them. I also got some white chickens and Jerkens. Hubby said " got a lot as some will die" well I only lost one which is good but that left me with to many as I had already placed a order from a local chicken ranch for 8 more HS Brown chicken and Barred rock chickens. So I gave 6 away the white ones to my other daughters soon to be husband.
Now came the fun of my movable coop. I am going to post photo's but let me just say I learned the hard way how easy it is to let it get out of hand. LOL it is suppose to be movable by me BUT it takes 3 of us to move it . Enjoy the photos of our first coop

Just got back from getting the supplies. We looked at lots of coops and kinda just took what we liked form all of them and then I of course added to it.

Laying out the frame

floor ventilation and to let the poop fall through.

The frame is up it is tall as hubby wanted me to be able to get inside with out have to bend over I am 5'10" it is 14' long by 4' wide. So they have 14' of outside running room.

Getting ready to put on the walls

walls and door on and painted and now we are getting ready to fence in the out door run.

First time my chicken have been outside. They were in rabbit cages in the house they seemed to love getting out and stretching their wings and legs. The coop has 2 wheel on it but still very hard to move so we might two bigger ones and add two more wheels.

My Jersey black and the butt of my leg horns.
I still have a heat lamp in the coop as it is still kinda cold outside. I put hay down and am hopefully this weekend going to get their roosting pole in place. I had no idea they liked those. Then I need the nesting boxes. Our next coop we are going to use 2x2 instead of 2x4 and maybe not so big. But all in all I really like it. I put a tin sun on the front of it and my daughter who is a artist is going to paint something fun on the back and I might even put up a wood planter on one side and plant some flowers on it. We do need to add a window still.
Thanks for looking. I can not wait for my first egg.

Hi, It looks great, I know the chicks will be very happy. I am worried about the size of your fencing around the run. If you have cats, racoons, possums around, they can reach through and grab your chicks. It is just a suggestion, but I would put a 1/4 square inch hardware cloth around the bottom just to be safe. I have racoons and possums and wild cats around my area. Have fun with the chicks and I to am counting down the days to my first eggs!

Very nice coop. Your chickens look very happy. Just a few things. Your leghorn is not a leghorn but a red sex link chicken. Some call them red star. I have 3 of them. Great chickens. Good egg layers. Very calm and gentle. Also the wire you're using for the run will not keep out to many predators. The holes are too big. Raccoons can put their hands(paws) in and pull out a chicken. You might want to consider using hardware cloth. The holes are only 1/2'. Good luck and enjoy your chickens. I know we do.

Very nice coop. Your chickens look very happy. Just a few things. Your leghorn is not a leghorn but a red sex link chicken. Some call them red star. I have 3 of them. Great chickens. Good egg layers. Very calm and gentle. Also the wire you're using for the run will not keep out to many predators. The holes are too big. Raccoons can put their hands(paws) in and pull out a chicken. You might want to consider using hardware cloth. The holes are only 1/2'. Good luck and enjoy your chickens. I know we do.
It is funny you mention that! Hubby and I had a bit of a different of opinion on that. I told him the top holes where to big and my Bantams would get out. He said Naaa well guess what we just got done doing at 9:30 pm hunting down one of my Bantams that got out :) fist the chicken went under the white pine then under the Colorado Blue Spruce and she hopped her way up about 8' my son and I tried to get her down.. Called hubby and he said get a ladder and we will wait till dark. Well that did not make sense to me but I did what he told me to. Hubby got home from work and we went out with flash lights to the spruce to try and find her. She was not there but I was pretty sure she went back to the white pines and I found her about 4' up. Hubby told me to turn off my light and he walk right up and got her I had no idea they could not see at night. So Saturday I go and get chicken wire to put all around the outside of the large holes. I actually think she is a rooster but we will see. Thanks for the timely advice. lol

Ok got 2 nice roosting poles in and added chicken wire all along the large holes to keep my Bantam in and the critters out. Even tho I herd them in side at night and there there door that is open during the day for them to run in and out get closed at night and is a secure door I felt better about adding the extra small wire. I have not seen them roost on the poles yet but maybe that got to get the hand of it. Hopefully when I go open the door to day to change food and water I will see a few up there. Now we are working on a window and our nest boxes. I posted a question with a photo in the coop design forum.
Thanks every body

Back
Top Bottom