First time chicken owner, need advice on breeds please!

mcroall47

Hatching
Mar 29, 2015
Hello all!

My name is Matt, I am just waiting for the snow to melt and will be building a chicken coop for my family! we plan on getting about 6 hens. I am looking for egg layers, also, i am looking for very personable, preferably quiet hens that get along well for my two small children to have fun with. I live on a small dead end street with no fences and houses close together. i am leaning towards getting 2 light brahmas, 2 buff orpingtons and 2 amerucanas (easter eggs?) as they are available at local hatcherie. the hens also need to be cold/heat hardy as ! live in new england. Any advice is greatly appreciated!!! thanks in advance.

Matt

Based on your criteria, breeds that have a reputation for being calm and gentle (potential lap pets), are good layers, and are very cold hardy include Australorps, Orpingtons, Brahmas, and Sussex. If egg production is a priority, Australorps are the best layers on this list and they are also the most heat hardy breed on the list. One of the hybrids you might consider are Black Sex Links, which are friendly and cold hardy (and reasonably heat hardy as well), egg laying machines. I've raised them for years (along with dozens of other breeds and hybrids), and they have been my best layers, consistently churning out more than 300 eggs per hen per year. I've been especially impressed with their persistence in laying in really cold weather. Whatever breed you decide to get, good luck with your flock.

Back
Top Bottom