First time chicken owner - need help identifying pullets and cockerels

With one hen; what would be your advice on where to get 2-3 other hens about the same age and how would I introduce her to the new members? Sooooo Disappointed. But appreciate all of your time and help with figuring this out.

I am a first time chicken owner and have nine 3 1/2 week old baby chicks that I purchased from a farm. The mother was a Wellsummer and the father a Silver Laced Orpington. I have been trying to read as much as I can about sexing the chicks. I do know that I have one pullet for sure, but I feel I have a majority of cockerels. Can someone please advise me on what I have. I appreciate the help. Sorry if the pictures are not the greatest. I have numbered them (#2's pic is not that great...sorry) Thank you.View attachment 3222069View attachment 3222079View attachment 3222080View attachment 3222081
Here's the updated photo's if some folks haven't seen already. 5.5 weeks (although none have crowed yet lol) Have just gotten some BYC ( appreciated) advice but.....soooo disappointed. Looks like I only have one pullet. :-(
Photo #6 (0153).

Attachments

• IMG_0148.jpeg
    IMG_0148.jpeg
    677.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0149.jpeg
    IMG_0149.jpeg
    755.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0150.jpeg
    IMG_0150.jpeg
    609.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0151.jpeg
    IMG_0151.jpeg
    844.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0152.jpeg
    IMG_0152.jpeg
    809.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0153.jpeg
    IMG_0153.jpeg
    784.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0154.jpeg
    IMG_0154.jpeg
    785.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0155.jpeg
    IMG_0155.jpeg
    852.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0156.jpeg
    IMG_0156.jpeg
    714 KB · Views: 1
With one hen; what would be your advice on where to get 2-3 other hens about the same age and how would I introduce her to the new members? Sooooo Disappointed. But appreciate all of your time and help with figuring this out.
I personally would check Craigslist. Post photos of any potential chicks here for a hopeful gender ID.

Anything you bring home needs to be quarantined for at least 4 weeks to watch for any sickness. Once quarantine is over, move them close to her where they can all see each other but not touch. After a week or so, try introducing one in with her. If they get along - great! Introduce the others in a day or so. If they fight horribly, step in and remove the newbie and try again in a few days. Initially they will squabble a bit. That's how they determine pecking order. However, sometimes they take ot too far and go for blood. That's when you should be stepping in. Multiple feeders and wagerers also help when integrating new birds. That way nobody gets bullied and kept from eating or drinking.

I personally would check Craigslist. Post photos of any potential chicks here for a hopeful gender ID.

Anything you bring home needs to be quarantined for at least 4 weeks to watch for any sickness. Once quarantine is over, move them close to her where they can all see each other but not touch. After a week or so, try introducing one in with her. If they get along - great! Introduce the others in a day or so. If they fight horribly, step in and remove the newbie and try again in a few days. Initially they will squabble a bit. That's how they determine pecking order. However, sometimes they take ot too far and go for blood. That's when you should be stepping in. Multiple feeders and wagerers also help when integrating new birds. That way nobody gets bullied and kept from eating or drinking.
ok great! Thank you so much. This has been tough but I'm not going to give up.

Back
Top Bottom