First time chicken owner - need help identifying pullets and cockerels

cjsras

Chirping
Aug 13, 2022
I am a first time chicken owner and have nine 3 1/2 week old baby chicks that I purchased from a farm. The mother was a Wellsummer and the father a Silver Laced Orpington. I have been trying to read as much as I can about sexing the chicks. I do know that I have one pullet for sure, but I feel I have a majority of cockerels. Can someone please advise me on what I have. I appreciate the help. Sorry if the pictures are not the greatest. I have numbered them (#2's pic is not that great...sorry) Thank you.
IMG_5398.jpeg
IMG_5421.jpg
IMG_5413.jpg
IMG_5415.jpg

:welcome You are correct that the majority appear to be cockerels. Not certain about the parentage - where did those feathered legs come from? Neither Welsummers or Orpingtons have them.

Majority look to be cockerels bright red developed combs at 3 and a half weeks is a big telltale sign.

Hey from the UK! Welcome to BYC it's lovely to have you here 😀 lots of useful knowledge and advice on here and everyone trys to assist with any questions or queries.
XxSamXx

:welcome You are correct that the majority appear to be cockerels. Not certain about the parentage - where did those feathered legs come from? Neither Welsummers or Orpingtons have them.
I am a first time chicken owner and have nine 3 1/2 week old baby chicks that I purchased from a farm. The mother was a Wellsummer and the father a Silver Laced Orpington. I have been trying to read as much as I can about sexing the chicks. I do know that I have one pullet for sure, but I feel I have a majority of cockerels. Can someone please advise me on what I have. I appreciate the help. Sorry if the pictures are not the greatest. I have numbered them (#2's pic is not that great...sorry) Thank you.View attachment 3222069View attachment 3222079View attachment 3222080View attachment 3222081
I am so upset right now. I just wanted to have at least 3-4 pullets. Thank you for helping me figure this out. I knew #9 was. Hoping 7 is. Please if anybody has thoughts, let me know. It looks like majority is ruling. I'm new to this. I don't know what to do with the baby roosters. I want them to go to good homes, but I realize that folks utilize them for food as well. Any thoughts? I saw the mother and father and I was told that was what they were; Wellsummer and Orpington. Thank you everyone; please posting your thoughts; so appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom