First time chicken owner.

nhingy

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 4, 2013
Jefferson, NH
Hello all, just got 5 Plymouth Barred Rock Hens. I was trying to get 4 week old chicks, but it didn't work out so I got these from a friend of a friend.

It's been fun setting up a coop and run with my son. We bought an old 4x8x8 bob house for $50 off craigslist and went to town on it. We stripped the inside, took out one larger window and made 4 nesting boxes on the outside wall, my son took the door off and turned it upside down and we made a trap door where the window used to be for when they are ready for free ranging. We cut a hole in the side and put a trap door on a string so we can open it and let them out into a fenced in run. The most fun my son had was cutting some trees down and making roosting poles out of them. Everything inside the bob house and materials were used from scraps or re-purposed from the original interior of the bob house. The only thing we purchased was a couple rolls of chicken wire.

The run we made out of an old car port canopy frame. We took it and assembled an approximately 10X12 section and used the chicken wire for the sides and up to an old plastic coated net that we had. The black net is on the top of the run, hopefully it gives them some shade and protects them from flying predators.

We got them about dark last night and they immediately took to their new house. It was funny to see all 5 of them get up on the lower roost pole almost immediately.

We let them relax overnight and this morning I finished securing the net and chicken wire together. We fed them some bread and they seemed to be calming down and getting used to us, they were eating out of our hands and letting us pet them a little.

I opened the trap door and they came popping out of the coop and seem to love the new enclosure. One keeps going back inside and getting into the nesting boxes and has tried every one out, scratching a hole into the shavings, then going outside, then back inside. I'm thinking she is ready to gift us with our first egg.

Here are some pictures of the run.

Now the hard part is figuring out names.

Greetings from Kansas, nhingy, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Great to have you aboard! Awesome job re-purposing the bob house (what's a bob house?) into a coop. You might consider put a strip of hardware cloth along the bottom perimeter of the run from ground level up 15" or so - keeps greedy raccoon paws at bay. Good luck to you!

My son can't wait to get home from school. He spent a very long time in the coop with them today. We were graced by 4 eggs, 3 made it. The 4th one was crushed, seemed like they all wanted to lay in one nest box and not use the other 3. Can't wait for breakfast with the 3 fresh eggs.

The birds are starting to get more social, in a few days we will let them out for free range in late afternoon a couple nights so they can explore, but come right back in when it's dark. My son is eager to have them wandering the yard and be able to interact with them freely.

A bob house is another name for an ice fishing shack or shanty that is placed on the frozen lakes in the winter to fish from. They range in sizes and design. Most of the bigger ones have trap doors or holes cut in the floor to fish through a hole or multiple holes while sitting inside where it's warm. The windows help you keep warm while keeping an eye on your tip ups that are placed over holes in the lake around your shack.

It's fun ice fishing, the shacks are commonly on wheels, skis or skids to move them and people frequently claim the same spot year after year.

4 weeks later and I've lost at least one of the birds to the neighbors dog. They wandered into his yard and one was confirmed killed, still missing one. Posted in another thread about it, moosho and waddles are the missing birds. I posted there, not sure, but will they now stay away from there as it's dangerous for them or will they wander over there again? They are cooped up in the run again right now, but I don't know whether to let them back out, they might be able to find the missing one and get her home, still holding out hope that it's not kia also.

OMG ..... I'm so sorry for your loss ...... I would keep them in their run .... safety first! Is the neighbor's dog confined or loose?

His dog is 50/50 on confinement. He actually was out with it today and didn't understand what was happening until it was too late. He feels bad, keeping it tied at all times now, but before he would let it run his yard if he was out with it and it stayed there and didn't come bother the chickens in our yard.

I've wanted a rooster, wondering if this might have helped protect the girls as they can be intimidating? I know I don't have enough birds for a rooster as he would wear them out and they wouldn't get any rest.

Back
Top Bottom