First time chicken owner!!! :-)

Wisconsin-Chick

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 11, 2014
Kenosha, Wisconsin
Hi everyone! My name is Jen and I am in south eastern Wisconsin. I'm a stay at home mom, married to my High School sweetheart for almost 15yrs. My husband works in a Maximum prison, and our sons are 15 & almost 10. We have 3 Russian Wolfhounds(Borzoi), a Silken Windhound, a cat, and 2 Russian Tortoises. Can you tell we love animals? Haha! On August 18th, a friend I knew from High School messaged me on FB & said she had two chickens(male & female)that her husband had gotten at a flea market on a spur of the moment & that they were divorcing & the chickens had to go;she knew I loved animals & wanted to know if I wanted them. Her husband had gotten them as babies & they were now 2 months old. My husband & I had always wanted chickens but never got around to it. Here was our chance! I said absolutley & the next day found myself arriving home with 2 chickens. First order of business-find out what breed they were & name them. We found out that they are Rhode Island Reds-I named them Copper & Penny. My husband & I decided for that night & the time being that we'd keep them in one of our spare dog crates & made a trip to Farm & Fleet where after quickly searching the internet I found that we needed pine shavings, and other necessities. My husband built an outdoor coup that they spend from 8am-7pm in everyday-no bottom to it so they can peck at the grass all day, they have food & water also in the coup available all day as well. At night they go back in the dog crate that has the pine shavings as well as food & water. The dog crate is kept in our garage. I do have a few questions as I get different answers depending on the site/book/magazine. If anyone can answer them Id be so greatful as I said, I am so new to this! I'll navigate the site more tomorrow to see where to ask the questions, I've had a long & busy day! Let me end this little novel I've written with saying, I NEVER EVER in a million years would have thought Id find myself loving a chicken! But I do. I really do. I sit & watch them, their personalities are so unique, they come to me when I call them sweetly, and they are just so fascinating! Ok, enough rattling on, if your still reading this, thank you so much for getting to know me & my chickens, I look forward to knowing all of you!!!

Jen, Copper, Penny & all the other wonderful pets in the menagerie we call our home

Welcome Wisconsin-chick! I had to smile when you said in your post "I NEVER EVER in a million years would have thought I'd find myself loving a chicken!" I am a fairly new chicken momma as well (5 months) and if you had told me this time last year that I would totally be in love with chickens I would have thought that was crazy but it is absolutely true! It is almost as if our sweet babies have cast some sort of magic spell over us. LOL!!

Again welcome! Everyone here is so nice and will be willing to help you with any questions you might have.

Thanks for the response! What makes the whole experience even more surprising to me.....I have a fear of birds!!! Every one I know knows this & thought I was joking when I said I got two chickens! Their beaks & feet scare the crap out of me, I'm terrified! But something just told me it would be ok. The first time I was handed the female(Penny), I was shaking & so scared, I almost dropped her! She looked up at me as if to say, "I like you. Your ok." She just let me pet her & it was an instant bond. Copper was a bit more "lively" but that's because I was always picking up Penny first & he's protective of her.

Welcome to BYC!

You will find a lot of good information here. Keep on asking questions and you will get many good answers.

You may also want to read the FAQ below.

Welcome to backyard chickens. So glad you fell under the spell of these fascinating creatures. The Learning Center is a great place to start, all you have to do is click on It.

Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. It's so easy to become addicted to these wonderful birds. Just beware, next comes "chicken math." Very few BYC members are immune to it. :eek:) Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with Copper and Penny.

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us!

Feel free to ask lots of questions! We're all here to help.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom