First Time Chicken Owners in North Carolina

MedSchlFarmers

Chirping
Jan 5, 2016
North Carolina
Good Afternoon! My husband and I, and our 3 small children, just brought home our first little chicks on Saturday. They were 1 week old yesterday. We have 2 Lavender Orpingtons (Beauty and Mrs. Potts), 1 White Orpington (Zaxby), 3 Americaunas (Brownie 1, and the other two are still waiting to be named), and 1 Silkie (Ole 5 Toes). They all seem to be thriving. Excited to get started!

welcome-byc.gif

Raising poultry is a great experience for kids, they'll have fun and learn a lot.

If you haven't already checked it out, use this link to take you to the Learning Center:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center
There are a lot of good articles there that will help answer any questions you may have.

Have fun with your new flock!

Thank you! The kids love them. I am actually a little concerned they may be holding the chicks too often. Is there a good rule of thumb to follow when holding/handling chicks?

Thank you! The kids love them. I am actually a little concerned they may be holding the chicks too often. Is there a good rule of thumb to follow when holding/handling chicks?

Common sense is probably the best indicator. The chicks are working hard at growing so that takes a lot of eating, drinking and sleeping. They're also busy forming a flock and getting to know one another. Those things all take time and lots of energy. It's good for the kids to be excited about the chicks and they are cute but be sure the chicks get enough time on their own to do what they need to do. Chicken tv (watching them) is lots of fun too, maybe encourage the kids to spend some time observing the chicks and learning each one's personality and behaviors.

Hello and
welcome-byc.gif

We are glad you joined us!

I love lavender Buff Orpingtons they are one of my favs. Sounds like some awesome breeds there. Hope you like raising chickens!
big_smile.png

CherriesBrood~

Children need to be supervised around young chicks, they are very fragile and can be easily injured or killed by falls, or squeezing hugs. It's best if they are observed at floor level.

Also they need protections from family pets, dogs & cats, etc.

Back
Top Bottom