First-time chicks - couple of questions

momx4plus8

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 17, 2012
Just picked up our new chicks today - 3 RI Reds, 3 Barred Rocks, 2 Buff Orpingtons. They are in a clear plastic tote with the heat lamp on one side. They move all around the tote but tend to gather right in the middle. Am I correct to assume that the temperature must be about right for them?

I bought chick feeder/waterers from TSC, but they're not working as waterers. I'm thinking that the bottom part is wrong. The bottle sits directly on the bottom part, so it doesn't let any water out. Should there be some grooves or something cut into the bottom piece to allow small amounts of water to seep out?

I love just watching them (and holding them of course).

If I am correct they will go towards the lamp if they are cold and move farther away if to hot.. we never used a lamp we used a heater in a bathroom and it said so warm and toasty in there lol

A photo of the waterer that's not working would be helpful. It shouldn't rest directly on the bottom, though - unless it's a metal one - and those have a cover that comes over it and depresses a little lever that releases the water.

It sounds like you've got the heat about right. Just watch the chicks. If they're cold, they'll huddle directly under the light. If they're too hot, they'll move as far away from the lamp as possible. If they're running all over the brooder, then it's just right.

Back
Top Bottom