First time coop builder! Paint.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Maven452, Sep 3, 2016.

1. Maven452

Maven452 Just Hatched

Sep 3, 2016
    Hello,
    I'm building a chicken coop for the first time... by myself... I've never built anything more elaborate than a lego house before!
    Anyways, I've been doing some reading on what my coop will need and a few places have said that I need to paint the inside of my coop to help prevent mites and other pests. My QUESTION is this: Should I paint the floor too? I ask because I'm concerned about the chickens scratching it up and eating it! It's a plain wood floor as is.

2. GC-Raptor

GC-Raptor Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2016
    Connecticut, U.S.A.
    I painted the floor of my coop. My girls are outside from sunrise to sunset except to eat and roost. The floor has scratches, but no peeling paint. I used a paint/primer in one. I'm currently using straw but started with pine shavings. I did not paint the walls. I used outdoor pressed wood, don't know the official name, but it looks like siding outside. GC[​IMG]

3. BruceAZ

BruceAZ Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2016
    Valley of the Sun :)
    are you keeping it bare floor ? or using some type of bedding?

painting the floor would be fine imo

i pained mine with wood sealent - leave the coop+run combout outside in the sun to dry for 3 days before moving my chickens in

manure on bare floor will be difficult to clean so use bedding might be best

4. billpack326

billpack326 Out Of The Brooder

I put down some peel and stick tiles down for easier cleaning. When coop is ready I will put bedding over it. Til then its a chicken dance floor. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. TerryH

TerryH Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2016
    NW Arkansas
    My Coop
    I used Blackjack #57 roof coating on ours and I love it. It's available at Lowes. Many here have used it with good results. Makes a super tough and waterproof surface.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I used a single sheet of heavy vinyl flooring...after 3 years I still love it...see My Coop page.

7. treefrogging

treefrogging Just Hatched

Sep 8, 2016
    That's super nice looking tile! Lol @ "Chicken Dance Floor". We joke that we used such nice materials in building our coop that we'd live there... it wasn't that expensive either. Just got nice wood melanine from Menard's ...

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by