First Time Culling, stiff as a board?

Walter & Raye

Hatching
8 Years
Feb 14, 2011
We have Buff Orphingtons. 25 came in a little box and we enjoyed the first year. Second year we let the broody girls have a go at motherhood. The result was 5 extra roosters. That doesn't work. So, we decided to educate our selves through YouTube on the processing. First time was yesterday. We crated the night before while they slept, painless. No food until the slaughter, about 16 hours. Made my own cone out of sheet metal, worked perfect. Jugular was hard to find through all the feathers, but after a couple that was learned. Scalding in a turkey fryer, hand plucked, a lot of work but OK. This is where the problem started. The birds got hard, rigor mortise? Cleaned them out, and the skin started to get tough also. We may have been slow at it this being the first time, but not hours. On the videos non got stiff and the skin looked pliable and moist. Ours now have leathery skin, scalding was no longer then a minute, most. Used our sink as a cooling tub, cleaned them, bagged them and froze them. What are we doing wrong? Why are they stiff and cadaverous?

Last edited:
I don't know why that happens, but it does every once in awhile when we are doing a lot of chickens at a time. we do everything the same and then all of a sudden one goes tight even while I am plucking it with an electric plucker..

It doesnt hurt the meat, but it is sort of spooky, isn't it ? LOL

the stiffness is rigor and it does set in quickly. I have only had one get leathery skin and it was a year old roo . . . was it him or did my processor let him go in the hot water a bit tooo long??? I'm not sure but I expect a bit of both. If ALL of yours got leathery skin I am going to guess that it was just a bit too long in the hot water.

I thought you're supposed to let them sit in the fridge for a day to let rigor pass before you cook and freeze them, Otherwise the meat will still be in rigor and tough?? Or is this something different?

Rigor will set in, and as the natural processes continue it will go away. In regards to the skin- a minute long scald is too long (IMO). I just did four ducks and 8 chickens yesterday. I use water at 150 degrees F with dishwashing liquid added to help the water get down to the skin,.. I dip the bird in holding the feet and swish/swirl it vigorously, then lift, I repeat this 2 or three times, each time they are under for about 10 or 15 seconds. Usually with chickens it only takes twice.

My advice is to put them in plastic bags and let them rest in the fridge for a day or two. This should take care of the rigor and provide for a more tender and flavorful meal. If you find the skin to be unappetizing due to scald damage you can skin the bird, or you can cut the bird up into parts. Look for videos on breaking down a chicken on youtube. Everything I know about processing I taught myself beginning 5 years ago. Since then I have done geese, turkeys, ducks, bantam and large fowl chickens.

Until recently I kept everything whole, but I broke down a goose and a duck for thanksgiving, and since then have broken down over 20 chickens. It's not hard once you get the hang of it, really. I watched a video or two on youtube, then did it, referring back to the video as needed.

Back
Top Bottom