First time deep cleaning / rats

Bleach in water is the most effective sanitizing you can do. Simple and cheap- 1/3 cup bleach to gallon of water.

You won't get rid of rats until you use exterior bait boxes with chunx poison.
Thank you. Sorry I didn't reply sooner. Our family got pretty sick for a while and was in survival mode.

Agree that pics would be helpful. Poop boards installation to me meant freedom from deep- litter issues. So you have both going on though? I use white vinegar in my coop for cleaning. I also have white vinegar in mason jars with orange and lemon rind. After a few months it's great to clean with that as it leaves a citrus smell instead of pickle smell :) I'm sure you can get the rat issue solved by first eliminating the rats, then putting control plans in place like getting rid of anything that is attractive to them - bedding, poo and feed. Personally I would not put rat poo in my garden but I would certainly spread it under trees and landscaping as mulch.
Thank you so much for all the great advice. Sorry I didn't respond sooner. We got pretty sick for a while after I posted this. I don't know if these pictures are helpful enough, but here is the interior.

Attachments

• IMG20230415144033.jpg
    IMG20230415144033.jpg
    581.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG20230414103553.jpg
    IMG20230414103553.jpg
    764.2 KB · Views: 14
Great coop, thanks! Now I see that when you say "Poop board" you really mean a board. I should call it "Poop tray," because typically it's a poo catchment that is wide enough no poo gets on the floor. JT's set up pics and explanation is what I copied. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/what-is-sweet-pdz.1577385/#post-26807368
So my floor is bare, painted plywood which solves the deep litter issues and fear of rat nests, on the floor. If they can nest in the walls that's a whole new issue. I like that you have concrete and cinder blocks, at least that part they can't screw with. I hope you and your family are feeling better! ☺️

Great coop, thanks! Now I see that when you say "Poop board" you really mean a board. I should call it "Poop tray," because typically it's a poo catchment that is wide enough no poo gets on the floor. JT's set up pics and explanation is what I copied. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/what-is-sweet-pdz.1577385/#post-26807368
So my floor is bare, painted plywood which solves the deep litter issues and fear of rat nests, on the floor. If they can nest in the walls that's a whole new issue. I like that you have concrete and cinder blocks, at least that part they can't screw with. I hope you and your family are feeling better! ☺️
Thank you! Yes, we are feeling better finally. Still tired and catching up on things, but it's good to be alive. 😀

Ah, the board is too narrow... That makes sense. It does catch the majority of the chickens' poop, but not all. Plus they also seem to like randomly pooping everywhere they go. 😝

Back
Top Bottom