1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First time dry hatching, What humidity should I hatch?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Countrypunk92, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Countrypunk92

Countrypunk92 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    Portland, tennessee
    I am trying dry hatching, my incubator was at 40%, when I put them in the hatcher, it stays around `80%, isnt this too high?

2. TallChickMagnet

TallChickMagnet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2012
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    50% - 65% until the last 3 day then go up to 65% - 75%... That's what my book says...

Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  3. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    That's for regular hatching. Dry hatching calls for 20% - 30% until day 18, then raising it to the regular hatching humidity of 65% through 75%

4. Countrypunk92

May 26, 2009
    Portland, tennessee
    For some reason it is the same humidity if I add water... [​IMG]

5. TallChickMagnet

TallChickMagnet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2012
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    Is your heating element close enough to the water to effect it (evaporation)...?

6. Countrypunk92

May 26, 2009
    Portland, tennessee
    It is a food dehydrator, and I have no water in the incubator.

7. 3forfree

3forfree Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    essexville, michigan
    what temps are you keeping in the dehydrator? I've never heard of anyone using a dehydrator as an incubator. I dry hatched my last batch in a LG incubator and the humidity would stay about 30%for about a week and then drop to 23 or 24 I would put one tablespoon of water in the incubator and the humidity would go back up to 30 for another week then drop. I had 11 of 22 hatch, and the 11 that didn't hatch were fully developed but shrink wrapped.

8. SeattleLeah

SeattleLeah Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    So I have been dry hatching for some time now and I like it for the ease but I keep getting very sticky chicks. Also, nearly all my eggs make it to lock down and then only 2 or 3 out of a dozen hatch. Im worried they are getting shrink wrapped. My incubator is in the basement with ambient humidity of around 85% but inside the bator it drops to the teens. This hatch I am adding a bit of water a few times a week to keep the humidity between 20-30%. Has anyone else had problems with their humidity getting too low? Air vents are all open. It is so strange!?!? I have a hovabator styrafoam with a computer fan installed. thanks!

9. 3forfree

3forfree Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    essexville, michigan
    I'm no expert when it comes to incubating. I've hatched pheasants in a homemade cooler bater. Chickens in a styrofoam cooler bater and the last time using a LG incubator dry with no fan. I enjoy incubating, I kept notes last time only to see what humidity stayed in the bator as the days went by. other wise what happens, happens. I get about a 50% hatch rate, one time I went 0-24 but I think I got unfertile eggs. Last time using the dry method I had 22 chicks develope fully, 11 hatched over a 3 day period, 11 were shrink wrapped, 2 were duds. Next time I incubate I will do another dry hatch but will use a fan. Keep the temps right, turn them three times a day, and have fun.

10. mamawolf544

mamawolf544 Unbreakable Heart

Apr 29, 2009
    alvarado, Tx
    I'm no expert either. But I think it depends on where you live. I have been hatching eggs for more than 15 years. I cannot use the dry hatch method here where I live. I have tried 3x and lost all the eggs every time. I will never do it again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by