• Now

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Later

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

HannaKessler

Songster
Feb 22, 2018
Hello. My year and a half old KC has decided to go broody. This is the third time she's done this recently, and I have decided to let her hatch out some babies. The thing is, my drake is pretty young, and just got his drake feathers a month ago. His sister is not quite laying yet. There have been some wild mallard ducks hanging around all spring, and I have witnessed some "action" but I am not really certain that the eggs are fertilized.

The clutch is currently 17 eggs, which is far too many. I am hoping to hatch maybe 5-7 ducklings. However, I don't want to reduce the eggs yet in case I throw out a fertile one and keep some duds. Today is day 2, on what day can I tell if the eggs are clears by candleing? Is it better to take my chances and reduce now to ensure that the eggs in the nest get enough warmth, or better to wait? The eggs feel warm to the touch but I have heard sometimes mothers can't incubate the eggs properly if there are too many.

Any advice is appreciated. Attached is a picture of the nest.

20180530_183237.jpg

my muscovies will sit on up to 24 eggs. With such a young drake you may not have fertile eggs... I would wait 10 days. I don't know about your hen, but mine will take a hand off if I try to get within 3 feet of a nest they are sitting on

my muscovies will sit on up to 24 eggs. With such a young drake you may not have fertile eggs... I would wait 10 days. I don't know about your hen, but mine will take a hand off if I try to get within 3 feet of a nest they are sitting on
Mine is pretty sweet, she lets me handle her eggs and check on the nest from time to time. She is doing a great job keeping them all warm and moist. Today is day 5, what should I look for when candling on day 10?

Back
Top Bottom