First time duck owner

calrock67

In the Brooder
May 31, 2020
My name is Caroline and I am a first time duck owner. I got ducks because I am allergic to chickens and chicken eggs. I have a lot of trouble trying to find duck eggs so I decided to take the plunge and get two ducklings so of course I have four! I have four Pekin but I do not know the sex yet, I believe they are only 4-5 weeks old although they are getting quite big.

The ducklings join my family which consists of a chocolate lab (Chunk), a setter mix (Darwin) and a cat (Megatron). Other than being curious at first, all the animals pretty much ignore the ducklings. I had the ducks outside in a kennel area one day when it was really nice out and the dogs stood guard over them. They never acted aggressive with them at all which I was very thankful for but I will still keep a close eye on them once they move outside permanently.

Isaac 0

Enabler
Jul 19, 2016
Iowa
Hi, Caroline, Welcome to BackYard Chickens!

Pekins require a lot more niacin than other breeds so it's always a good idea to add a niacin supplement to their diet to prevent leg problems. Most people will add one to two tablespoons of brewers or nutritional yeast to one cup of feed.

Best of luck with them!

Top Bottom