First time Ducky Daddy

Just to give you an idea... Here's a pic of my 5 ducklings plus 9 chicks at 2 days old (top) and a pic of just my 5 ducklings at 3 weeks old (bottom). See how fast they outgrow their brooder? :)

Deep litter. Confine the waterer to one corner, inside a low-edged baking tray so more of the water stays there than gets spilled or splashed into the pine shavings. But you should be able to remove and replace the wet shavings from that end or corner of the brooder space.

Really. Deep litter will help with the odors.
Gryeyes, do you think that deep litter would work inside the house, i.e. in a plastic bottomed container instead of over dirt?

Last edited:
We just got our first duck - a Pekin we named Howard (but still unsure of the sex.) We LOVE him! I was astonished when he started answering to his name. I just have ot walk outside (when I have him loose during the day) and say his name, and he comes running. He imprinted on my oldest daughter, and he follows her all over the yard. AND he (I keep saying he, but he may be a she) even keeps the little 3 week old chicks company. I was a little skeptical when my hubby brought him home, but I must confess I'm in love - mess and all!

We just got our first duck - a Pekin we named Howard (but still unsure of the sex.) We LOVE him! I was astonished when he started answering to his name. I just have ot walk outside (when I have him loose during the day) and say his name, and he comes running. He imprinted on my oldest daughter, and he follows her all over the yard. AND he (I keep saying he, but he may be a she) even keeps the little 3 week old chicks company. I was a little skeptical when my hubby brought him home, but I must confess I'm in love - mess and all!
I love hearing stories like that. (This forum is full of them!) Thanks for reminding me, that is exactly why I got my ducklings! I decided, I am going to attempt to keep them inside for the next month, until they're ready for their yet-to-be-built outdoor coop and run. I'm going to line the bottom and sides of the kennel up about 18 inches with clear plastic, to hopefully contain any flung poop. I'm gonna try deep litter, with pine shavings. I'll post pics when I get it converted this weekend.

I kept Howard inside for the first three weeks in a rubbermaid container, but since the weather has been pretty warm here I put him outside in a make-shift brooder. He's safe and warm, and my house is a littler clearner - except for when my daughters sneak him in to watch TV! HA!
BTW, the deep litter does help alot! Best of luck! And keep posting pics, because I have NO CLUE what to do NEXT! (Pool, coop, etc...)

Deep litter. Confine the waterer to one corner, inside a low-edged baking tray so more of the water stays there than gets spilled or splashed into the pine shavings. But you should be able to remove and replace the wet shavings from that end or corner of the brooder space.

Really. Deep litter will help with the odors.

Gryeyes, do you think that deep litter would work inside the house, i.e. in a plastic bottomed container instead of over dirt?

Well, it's sort of "temporary" deep litter. :p I have used it in large (54 gallon) Rubbermaid storage bins used as brooders. Although it doesn't break down as it would in [my] dirt-floored coop, it still absorbs moisture and odors. With ducks, by the time they were ready to go integration/segregation quarters, the level of shavings was pretty high because I added to it so much more than with chicks. Duckling poop, y'know.

At the end of their brooder time, I dump the bin into my compost thingie. That's where it will finish the process.

cute khaki campbells. expect poop production to double every week. ducks are poop factories but they make up for it by being cute even when full grown

Last edited:
Love it!!
I ended up going to the Chicken Supply Company for chick food and walked out with 3 baby ducks! (Well, not so bad, I guess, I did originally want Bourbon Red Turkeys, but DH nixed that idea.)

I ended up stepping over here to see what we got. Turns out we have one Khaki Campbell and 2 Indian Runners. I'm pleased with how they're going to be as adults! Hurray!!

Loved reading through this thread! Yes, they do pooooooop. alotalotalot.
big_smile.png
But they are more friendly than the chickens, so I guess they'll pay off. And, if they are female, I'll get eggs and cuteness out of the deal, if they survive the cats.

earthman, pine shavings is definitely the way to go for smell cover-up. Another thing you can do is go to the pharmacy department and get some disposeable rubber gloves, they come in like a box of 50-100 and cost about $5. Before you "add" any litter put a glove on and pick up any "poop wads" (with surrounding shavings) and remove. Remember you have a small area you are trying to keep clean and smell free, so this will help those pine shavings do their job and keep the wife happy.

Deep litter is great for "dry" outside applications, however the "wetter the litter" the greater the smell, so picking up the poop wads will help for your small space. Let your nose be your guide on when it is time to completely change out the litter. Normally when using deep litter "outside" you fluff it up, turn it over, mix it around every couple of days -- any wet stuff on top dries out and the smell goes away. While you have that glove on you can also stir up your shavings, before adding any to the top. You will be amazed at how well the shavings work.

Here's a thought... I don't know what other people use but... I got some pine shavings from Walmart when I ordered my ducks. It was a small bag for hamsters and stuff. It was kind of soft shavings. They were thin and not very hard. When I ran out I went to Orcheln's and got a big bag of pine shavings. When I used it for the first time I noticed they were a lot harder and thicker than the first bag. But most other people use pine shavings for ducks so I thought it would be ok. Now my babies have scraped up feet. :(

I'm not saying don't use pine shavings. I'm just saying be very careful with what you choose. And I'd suggest checking the bottom of their feet everyday. Just want to prevent any other ducklings from getting their feet hurt.

Back
Top Bottom