First time Ducky Daddy

I'm not saying don't use pine shavings. I'm just saying be very careful with what you choose. And I'd suggest checking the bottom of their feet everyday. Just want to prevent any other ducklings from getting their feet hurt.

Thanks for the words of caution, I will keep that in mind as I am shopping for pine shavings, and i will also keep an eye on their little feet.

We don't have a Tractor Supply. But I did find it at Walmart, bought a pretty big bag for $5.99. It seems pretty soft. I haven't converted the kennel yet, but I did change out their straw bedding for the pine shavings. I'll keep and eye on their feet, just to be safe.

I switched to the pine shavings yesterday. So far I have found that they do a way better job of controlling the odor, compared to the straw I was using before. Only problem is, the 11-day old ducklings seem to be occasionally eating the shavings. At first I was very concerned, but after searching this forum I found that several people reported the same thing, and it may be that they are just "tasting" it. And I really can't say for sure that they are fully ingesting the shavings. For the moment, I will continue to observe them and hopefully they will discontinue "tasting". These shavings are really small and soft, but I saw some at a farm supply store here that seemed quite a bit larger. They seemed like they wouldn't be as soft for the duckies as the shavings I am currently using, but if they keep eating them I might have to try the bigger shavings.

I suppose you could toss a big old towel or sheet over the shavings for a few days. My runners indeed started to eat the shavings. They were not tasting, no, they were down-the-hatch eating them. Back to towels till they were full sized.

I was thinking of putting a thin layer of baking soda on the bottom of the brooder and then a layer of recycled paper bedding over it for my (future) ducklings. Hmmmm.

My ducklings have to "taste" their new bedding too. (Only when the size/texture of the bedding changed. Not every time I clean it out). I'm pretty sure they ate some but after they realized it wasn't food they stopped messing with it. It didn't seem to hurt them.

Back
Top Bottom