First time emu has shown real aggression had to leave her paddock!

mark19851234

In the Brooder
Feb 24, 2021
Hi

Had my emus (girl 5, boy 2) for a week and a half now. They are finally both eating (not palettes yet tho). I have spent a lot of time in the paddock. Had no issues. Would sometimes raise up slightly if i went to stroke them but would always calm down when i rub their neck. Today the girl actually went to chase me. It really caught me off guard and i was sorting the fence out at the time and had my hammer in my hand. I pushed her away with the hammer (using it as a stick to create space between us) but she kept coming. I got out of the paddock but she was going mental over the fence. Is this normal? Any advice would be much appreciated as today is the first time she has acted like this. Do I need to show her whos boss?

Thanks again!

So, we meet again, Mark

I am off to town this very second. Shall post this arvo.

But 'Show her who's boss'? Heck. Don't go there!

So, we meet again, Mark

I am off to town this very second. Shall post this arvo.

But 'Show her who's boss'? Heck. Don't go there!
Hey briefvisit! Sounds good will appreciate any advice you have. I am happy just fussing them over the fence if thats what she prefers. Need to finish the fence first separating her from our sheep. She wasnt very fond of them either!

The Big Picture

I’ve wanted to write this for a while:

Space is the issue here. The life of wild emus is an interaction between the unending conflicts that constitute normal emoo life, and spaces in which those conflicts play out.

So, I think that, when I read about captive emus being aggressive, it’s pivotally an issue of these normal behaviours happening in a ‘compressed’ space.

Maybe, for example, your female is thinking about forming a breeding-pair with the male – the only candidate in sight.

She therefore immediately ‘translates’ that impulse into undertaking to secure territory – that is, driving away any other emus on that prospective territory.

Now, in an unrestrained environment, one of two things would happen: either the competitor (you!) would ante up, or she (you) wouldd flee immediately.

[They seem to have an amazing ability to know beforehand what their relative strengths are. But that’s an essay for another day.]

Let me be clear about this: there is no third option. Two females may lock eyes at fifty paces, and have finished the contest within five seconds, leaving only piles of feathers behind. One bird wins; one bird loses. Che sera.

[On one famous occasion, I was observing a male with chicks in a situation in which another bird was present. And it just so happened that the lockin’-eyes thang happened over top of me. The male stormed past me to get at the other bird; but through the binos, for just three or four seconds, I got to be on the receiving end of dinosaur passion. The male was vision-locked, head down, neck out, charging straight towards me (but actually headed for the other bird).]

So if you are game, you can try to figure your situation out vis a vis the possibility outlined above: OMG! The female thinks I’m a competitor! And is intent on driving me off, so she thereby secures territory for her breeding program.

Me back from town later.

SE

Last edited:
The Big Picture

I’ve wanted to write this for a while:

Space is the issue here. The life of wild emus is an interaction between the unending conflicts that constitute normal emoo life, and spaces in which those conflicts play out.

So, I think that, when I read about captive emus being aggressive, it’s pivotally an issue of these normal behaviours happening in a ‘compressed’ space.

Maybe, for example, your female is thinking about forming a breeding-pair with the male – the only candidate in sight.

She therefore immediately ‘translates’ that impulse into undertaking to secure territory – that is, driving away any other emus on that prospective territory.

Now, in an unrestrained environment, one of two things would happen: either the competitor (you!) would ante up, or she (you) wouldd flee immediately.

[They seem to have an amazing ability to know beforehand what their relative strengths are. But that’s an essay for another day.]

Let me be clear about this: there is no third option. Two females may lock eyes at fifty paces, and have finished the contest within five seconds, leaving only piles of feathers behind. One bird wins; one bird loses. Che sera.

[On one famous occasion, I was observing a male with chicks in a situation in which another bird was present. And it just so happened that the lockin’-eyes thang happened over top of me. The male stormed past me to get at the other bird; but through the binos, for just three or four seconds, I got to be on the receiving end of dinosaur passion. The male was vision-locked, head down, neck out, charging straight towards me (but actually headed for the other bird).]

So if you are game, you can try to figure your situation out vis a vis the possibility outlined above: OMG! The female thinks I’m a competitor! And is intent on driving me off, so she thereby secures territory for her breeding program.

Me back from town later.

SE
That is super helpful ty. I think in UK they start laying around october. Which is only about 2 months away. I hope this behavior isnt a permanent thing. I will have finish the fence holding my dust bin lid shield lol. I assume always stand you ground and make yourself as big as possible until she backs down?

'I assume always stand your ground and make yourself as big as possible until she backs down?'

tee hee -- I have no idea. You'll figure out how I fit in: I observe wild emus.

But there are some members with enormous experience of captive emus. They may show up to help.

You'll dig my place when you visit. There's a big ol' fig tree in the house-clearing. You make coffee and sit in the garden. Emus come and go. Getting in their way is not part of the gig -- but they come right up to you.

But as I noticed, space is unlimited.

Supreme Emu

PS Mating season goes thus: pairs start forming around the end of summer. The pairs usually travel around together. If they return to the house-clearing here to fight for territory, we get to observe. The securing of territory takes place through the end of autumn into winter. The mating and laying happens coming up to mid-winter. The male usually begins incubating spot on calendar-mid-winter.

'I assume always stand your ground and make yourself as big as possible until she backs down?'

tee hee -- I have no idea. You'll figure out how I fit in: I observe wild emus.

But there are some members with enormous experience of captive emus. They may show up to help.

You'll dig my place when you visit. There's a big ol' fig tree in the house-clearing. You make coffee and sit in the garden. Emus come and go. Getting in their way is not part of the gig -- but they come right up to you.

But as I noticed, space is unlimited.

Supreme Emu

PS Mating season goes thus: pairs start forming around the end of summer. The pairs usually travel around together. If they return to the house-clearing here to fight for territory, we get to observe. The securing of territory takes place through the end of autumn into winter. The mating and laying happens coming up to mid-winter. The male usually begins incubating spot on calendar-mid-winter.
Very cool. Im guessing you live in Australia? Sounds like an amazing place to live.

Thanks again for all this information it is very useful. I am staying out of the paddock for now. been fussing them both over the fence and its been going pretty well. Will go in again with them in a few days fingers crossed it goes okay... lol

I am near Lake Muir in the south of West Australia. My farmhouse is plonk in the middle of a massive area of untenanted farms and bush and National Park.

SE

Back
Top Bottom