first time ever

DMills4

Hatching
10 Years
May 12, 2009
This year as a pre k teacher I enrolled in a program to bring embryology into the classroom. I never did it before but all I can say is WOW what an awesome experience! 21 days ago I was given 15 fertilized eggs. I put them in my basic, not so fancy incubator with it's automatic egg turner. I monitored the temp, kept the moisture rings filled, and misted with water close to hatching time. I removed the eggs from the turner per manufacteror recommendations on day 18. Yesterday afternoon on day 20, 4 of my chicken eggs had pipped and they were peeping all day. When I returned to school this AM (day 21) at 7:30 AM I had 7 chicks (4 dry and 3 newly hatched). By 9 AM I had 10 chicks. At noon I had eleven chicks and two had pipped. At 2PM I had 12 chicks, and at 8PM this evening the 13th chick had emerged. This experience was not only wonderful for me, but also for my students, and the other students in the school who came to observe the hatching process. All I can say is that I am so glad I took the risk and did this...it was so very worth it!

welcome-byc.gif
from Washington

And a big congrats on the chicks

Imp

My first experience with a chicken was in 2nd grade...I won a drawing and got to take it home. We ordered 6 more to keep it company, and it turned out that only one out of the 7 was a hen...they all attacked me and I would carry a stick around my pasture. Let's just say they didn't stay long. Now I have nice chickens though!
GLAD YOU HAD A GOOD HATCH!!!

I'm happy to see you taking the risk, the education your students learn from the experience is not only educational, but fun for them. I hope you continue the experience yearly.

Never hatched my own but it sounds like you had a very fulfilling experience. I joined BYC to learn about making a more secure coop and there's so much info on here about everything I'm getting inspired!!

Back
Top Bottom