First time forum member

Madam_FlurryFeathers

In the Brooder
Jun 15, 2022
Howdy howdy! I am Madam Flurry, I prefer to keep my name anon for privacy reasons but I am happy to join this forum group! This is my first time joining this style of group and im excited to learn about different chicken raising techniques, tips and chicks.. I mean tricks!

1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
I was first introduced to chicken raising through my mother in law about a year ago when i started helping her with her flock. That soon turned into an almost obsession and need to start my own flock. I just started hatching and raising chicks in february of this year so i am a new chicken mom!

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

I currently have 4 pullets ranging from 14 to 16 weeks old. A recent spike in local predator activity took my 2 years old black copper maran hen. Thankfully she produced to heirs, both pullets, one of which i kept.

(3) What breeds do you have?

My flock is half designer and half barnyard mix 😁. I have a speckled sussex pullet, and blue copper maran pullet, a maran-barnyard mix pullet, and a buff brahma/silver laced polish pullet.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

I love the joy and activity they bring to daily life. Learning about chicken health and the more finite details of flock communication and interaction fascinates me, especially as an elementary/middle school science teacher. Also chicken snuggles are wonderful!

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

I enjoy gardening and aquarium keeping. I am striving to have a sustainable garden in the next year or so to help support our homestead and lessen the food budget. Aquarium keeping has been a hobby since college but has been put on the back burner for now. I am also curious about learning to can and preserve various foods, as I have heard its possible to can eggs??

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

I live on a small homestead with family and help raise dairy goats for a homemade goat milk soaps business, of which I will not be marketing or endorsing here so respectfully I ask that you don't inquire about product or sales, though im more than happy to chat about the goats themselves as they are precious and silly little guys. Along with the goats we sell our eggs and raise our chickens for quality of egg and life rather than meat though we have humanely raised cornish crosses in the past as well as a couple of turkeys.

Thank you so much for having me and I look forward to learning more about chicken raising!!

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community?

Congratulations on becoming part of this community. It was also the first -- and still -- only online group that I have joined. I have learned so much, received encouragement, shared successes and enjoyed camaraderie I never imagined would exist. I hope it's a great experience for you, too.

I really enjoyed your intro; your life sounds pretty cool, and you and I have some common interests outside of chickens.

Welcome to BYC!

Back
Top Bottom