1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First time free ranging/What sex are they? PICS

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CarriBrown, May 4, 2007.

1. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Here are "The Monsters", Hotwing (dark BLRW) and Nugget (light BLRW). Hotwing is almost 8 weeks and Nugget is almost 6 weeks.
    They free ranged with the "big girls" today and loved it. I'm wondering what sex Nugget it. I'm almost certain Hotwing is a hen. Help!
    Nugget
    [​IMG]

Hotwing wondering what's flashing in her eye
    [​IMG]

Look at the difference in their tails
    [​IMG]

Chicken Hawk thought she had some new friends, but they weren't having any of her!!
    [​IMG]

2. nikkimay

nikkimay Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2007
    Pacific NW
    I can't help you with the sexing - but they are awfully cute!

How did it go for them being loose with the big girls for the first time?

3. CarriBrown

It went alright... My d'uccle was not thrilled but the other chickens didn't really care. The young ones hung out by themselves except when Chicken Hawk would go to make friends with them.
    They are living in a tractor inside the run so everyone is used to seeing each other. Today was the first time they were all out together.

4. seedcorn

seedcorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    NE. IN
    dark one w/wattles, cockerl
    the other one, pullet, no wattles, smaller comb

5. gavbarker

gavbarker Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2007
    East yorkshire uk
    yeah i would say thats about right

6. iopele

iopele Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    Texas
    Quote:That's what I thought too, but I'm no expert. They sure are pretty, though!

7. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    That's what I think too, Carri. Pullet and cockeral. They're awfully pretty! Where did you get them?
    Ellen

8. CarriBrown

Quote:[​IMG]
    Just my luck....
    Thank you! I think they are so pretty. I love BLRWs. Hotwing (dark) came from my friend's trio and Nugget was from an egg that I got from BlissChick.
    Guess I'm going to have to tell DH to get crackin' on another coop and run....

9. michellerene

michellerene Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2007
    Graham, WA
    I have a sneaking suspicion that this will be the breed I will order next spring to expand my flock! Gosh those Wyandottes are beautiful!!! [​IMG] Their feathers look like an artist painted them!

Are W's good layers?

10. CarriBrown

Quote:Well if it does turn out that I have a hen and a roo [​IMG] [​IMG] I could always send you eggs. I hear they are good layers but I'm not really sure... I've only had cochins, silkies, d'uccles, BRs and RIRs.
    I'm trying my luck this year with Buttercups (only 3 weeks old right now) and these two.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by