First time free ranging/What sex are they? PICS

CarriBrown

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
13 Years
Jan 21, 2007
Thousand Oaks, California
Here are "The Monsters", Hotwing (dark BLRW) and Nugget (light BLRW). Hotwing is almost 8 weeks and Nugget is almost 6 weeks.
They free ranged with the "big girls" today and loved it. I'm wondering what sex Nugget it. I'm almost certain Hotwing is a hen. Help!
Nugget
Chickens095.jpg

Hotwing wondering what's flashing in her eye
Chickens093.jpg

Look at the difference in their tails
Chickens094.jpg

Chicken Hawk thought she had some new friends, but they weren't having any of her!!
Chickens092.jpg

I can't help you with the sexing - but they are awfully cute!

How did it go for them being loose with the big girls for the first time?

It went alright... My d'uccle was not thrilled but the other chickens didn't really care. The young ones hung out by themselves except when Chicken Hawk would go to make friends with them.
They are living in a tractor inside the run so everyone is used to seeing each other. Today was the first time they were all out together.

Quote:
barnie.gif

Just my luck....
Thank you! I think they are so pretty. I love BLRWs. Hotwing (dark) came from my friend's trio and Nugget was from an egg that I got from BlissChick.
Guess I'm going to have to tell DH to get crackin' on another coop and run....

I have a sneaking suspicion that this will be the breed I will order next spring to expand my flock! Gosh those Wyandottes are beautiful!!!
big_smile.png
Their feathers look like an artist painted them!

Are W's good layers?

Quote:
Well if it does turn out that I have a hen and a roo
he.gif
barnie.gif
I could always send you eggs. I hear they are good layers but I'm not really sure... I've only had cochins, silkies, d'uccles, BRs and RIRs.
I'm trying my luck this year with Buttercups (only 3 weeks old right now) and these two.

Back
Top Bottom