First time goat breeding, I can't tell if my goats are pregnant!!!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by peakgoatcattle, Apr 19, 2017.

1. peakgoatcattle

peakgoatcattle New Egg

Apr 19, 2017
    Hi, I have been showing Pygmy goats in 4h for about 7 years. And this year, I've decided to try and have some new baby goats of my own! So I picked out my two favorite does, and breed them. It's been almost 5 months now, and I can't tell if they are pregnant! I don't know what I should look for or want to do!!!!! I could really use some advice and help. My family members also don't know what to do. I've looked everywhere but still have no luck. My two goats, Sugar (white) and Spice (brown), look very fat, but their utters don't look big at all! (I will post pics of them later) Help! Please!

2. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    If they are pregnant by five months you should be seeing some signs. Signs of pregnancy, such as udder development, are apparent in the last two months. The vulva gets puffy. Udder development is first seen from the rear at the top of the udder where it joins the body. It will start filling there.

The gestation period for goats is about five months, 150 days or so to be exact. If it has been five months since they were bred and you aren't seeing anything, chances are they are not pregnant.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by