First time goose owner with questions

Berikrown

In the Brooder
Jan 27, 2021
Hello! My name is Keri and I acquired 2 geese on my new farm. Someone had purchased them (source unknown) for their mom for Mother’s Day. Turns out she wanted nothing to do with them and since my husband and I had just purchased a farm, I of coarse said I would take them, knowing NOTHING about owning geese. I believe they are grey saddlebacks (?) and they will be a year old Mother’s Day this year. I can not tell if they are both females. I believe 1 might be male, but that is only because it “mounts” the other. I don’t know if that’s “proof” or not. 😂 Also, I live in Tieton Washington and we get a lot of snow. I let them out daily to do as they please but am unsure if the snow will hurt them or not. I first had them in my coop with my chickens since they were babies, but have recently separated them as they are honery to my new chickens and want to peck or bite them. If you could pass on some insight I would greatly appreciate it!!

Attachments

• 4D619FD1-E53C-4616-9098-DA60970670CF.jpeg
    4D619FD1-E53C-4616-9098-DA60970670CF.jpeg
    449.5 KB · Views: 15
  • DBC61293-93DF-43F4-865B-7647FD40E63B.jpeg
    DBC61293-93DF-43F4-865B-7647FD40E63B.jpeg
    351.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 2F1F2358-0D24-46AE-9517-D11124B7572E.jpeg
    2F1F2358-0D24-46AE-9517-D11124B7572E.jpeg
    683.8 KB · Views: 3
  • A55B75AA-ACA5-4062-9529-9C8B0234855D.jpeg
    A55B75AA-ACA5-4062-9529-9C8B0234855D.jpeg
    649.1 KB · Views: 3
Your geese should be able to tolerate snow well but be sure to give them the option of shelter as they please. My geese continue to amaze me with their tolerance of cold, wet weather. I was always trying to shelter them worrying that they were uncomfortable but they really love the cold weather! Yesterday we had a bit of a winter storm here in Oregon, I live in the Cascade foots hills on the west side, they were all standing out in the middle of it posted on one foot, head tucked in napping, choosing not to use their dry shelter of which they were standing right next to! Went down to the river to preen and swim. So don't worry too much, keep an eye out here and there, they have those big down coats for a reason. Hope you enjoy having them, geese are full of so much character! Good luck!

Your geese should be able to tolerate snow well but be sure to give them the option of shelter as they please. My geese continue to amaze me with their tolerance of cold, wet weather. I was always trying to shelter them worrying that they were uncomfortable but they really love the cold weather! Yesterday we had a bit of a winter storm here in Oregon, I live in the Cascade foots hills on the west side, they were all standing out in the middle of it posted on one foot, head tucked in napping, choosing not to use their dry shelter of which they were standing right next to! Went down to the river to preen and swim. So don't worry too much, keep an eye out here and there, they have those big down coats for a reason. Hope you enjoy having them, geese are full of so much character! Good luck!

Thank you so much! I love them both. They are definitely characters! They do have the option to go into multiple shelters or stay outside. During the day they always choose outside! Last night we got more snow and are expecting it during the week too. So far we’re at about 5”, and still coming down. It’ll be interesting to see what they choose now that it’s deeper. I have family in oregon and they said yesterday they finally got some snow. I told her I would gladly ship some of ours! 😂

Thank you so much! I love them both. They are definitely characters! They do have the option to go into multiple shelters or stay outside. During the day they always choose outside! Last night we got more snow and are expecting it during the week too. So far we’re at about 5”, and still coming down. It’ll be interesting to see what they choose now that it’s deeper. I have family in oregon and they said yesterday they finally got some snow. I told her I would gladly ship some of ours! 😂
Please do! :lol: sort of bummed with the lack of snow fall here this winter.

Hello! My name is Keri and I acquired 2 geese on my new farm. Someone had purchased them (source unknown) for their mom for Mother’s Day. Turns out she wanted nothing to do with them and since my husband and I had just purchased a farm, I of coarse said I would take them, knowing NOTHING about owning geese. I believe they are grey saddlebacks (?) and they will be a year old Mother’s Day this year. I can not tell if they are both females. I believe 1 might be male, but that is only because it “mounts” the other. I don’t know if that’s “proof” or not. 😂 Also, I live in Tieton Washington and we get a lot of snow. I let them out daily to do as they please but am unsure if the snow will hurt them or not. I first had them in my coop with my chickens since they were babies, but have recently separated them as they are honery to my new chickens and want to peck or bite them. If you could pass on some insight I would greatly appreciate it!!
@WhatTheDuckingDuck
@Miss Lydia

Although they don't prefer walking in the snow, geese are highly adaptable in cold climates. Give them a draft-free, shelter, with thick bedding, and thawed feed/ and water they will get along great. In the winter, along with All flock feed, I feed mine wheat in a bucket, and winter rye sod. They look like females to me.

This picture was taken at -10F and they were perfectly content.

IMG_7411.JPG

Last edited:
Oooo. Thank u for the feeding tip. Mine currently get All feed plus they eat dry Cobb some and still graze on grass. With most of my grass covered now I thought about kale or some other leafy green for them. They’re quite big and seem happy and healthy. They act like they’re mating quite often, which is what has made me wonder their gender. I think they’re both females, but that threw me off a little. Ha! They definitely add to my farm and make me happy.

Sometimes females mount females and males males. Some ganders will even perform nesting behaviors and ganders will adopt and raise babies whether there’s a female present or not.
Geese can be picky eaters so some will like things others don’t but leafy greens are pretty popular, some of mine like kale, romaine lettuce is a favorite of everyone’s, other things they might like are cabbage, carrots, apples, pears, plums, peaches, blackberries, blueberries, strawberries, tomatoes, grapes, watermelon, cantaloupe, pumpkin. Sometimes it can take them a bit to get used to a new food.
If one of them starts laying they’ll need oystershell or a layer feed too.

Geese get very horomonal in winter/spring and they can be more quick tempered and combative, the best defense is making sure they’re friends with you which is by spending enough time with them, anyone who’s around them a lot who isn’t aggressive they tend to view as part of their flock.

Sometimes females mount females and males males. Some ganders will even perform nesting behaviors and ganders will adopt and raise babies whether there’s a female present or not.
Geese can be picky eaters so some will like things others don’t but leafy greens are pretty popular, some of mine like kale, romaine lettuce is a favorite of everyone’s, other things they might like are cabbage, carrots, apples, pears, plums, peaches, blackberries, blueberries, strawberries, tomatoes, grapes, watermelon, cantaloupe, pumpkin. Sometimes it can take them a bit to get used to a new food.
If one of them starts laying they’ll need oystershell or a layer feed too.

Geese get very horomonal in winter/spring and they can be more quick tempered and combative, the best defense is making sure they’re friends with you which is by spending enough time with them, anyone who’s around them a lot who isn’t aggressive they tend to view as part of their flock.
I thought females would mount other females but didn’t know about ganders. I do feed them apples and Asian pears sometimes as I have those fruit trees on our farm. They LOVE the Asian pears! But I haven’t given them too much of any leafy greens yet. Oyster shells I give to my chickens so I will supplement the geese some too.

They are definitely feisty girls! Ha! I have raised them from babies so they’re closest to me. They still scream and carry on sometimes with me but I look at it as they’re telling me a story. Neither one will let me touch them, now that they’re bigger. They avoid it at all costs. I did have one walk into an outside moveable chicken coop I have and she couldn’t figure out how to get out. She let me pick her up and carry her out, which I was VERY surprised at. Other than that I haven’t touched them since they were babies. They are the rulers of the farm. Over my dogs, cats, goats and other chickens. Such personalities! Thank you for all your help. I really appreciate you taking the time to jot down a few words!

Back
Top Bottom