First Time Hatch Blog *Chicks!*

sbarab

Songster
10 Years
May 25, 2009
Conroe, TX
Today I am starting my first hatch in my Little Giant bator. I got the bator for Christmas along w/ an auto turner.

Two days ago I pulled the bator out of the box to start getting it all ready. Following the temp regulation directions provided by LG very quickly spiked the temp to 120 degrees. However a few adjustments got it running along at just below 100.

Then, I discovered my auto turner was not turning. The one I received was in the original box, but I thought it looked used when I pulled it out of the box. Yesterday I returned it to the feed store where it was purchased and they didn't have a replacement. Took my cash down to the local TS and found they have the incubator & autoturners about $10 cheaper for each piece than the feed store.

Took my savings from the cost of the auto turner over to good ol' Wal Mart and purchased a nice digital thermometer & hygrometer.

Brought my spoils home and discovered that the original auto turner was most definitely used. The new one was very nicely packaged in plastic, has a different type of motor & works great!

Set up the new auto turner & therm/hygro. Both work as expected this time around. Temp was regulated within 1 hour and held steady at 99 overnight (thermometer does not do 1/2 degree increments).

9 am today - a bakers dozen of my backyard fertilized eggs went into the bator. Temp dropped to 93 after removing the top and humidity right around 41%.

Eggs should be ready for lock down on Jan 18th and should be hatching on the 20th.

Roos are RIR, hens are a combo of any of the following: RIR, Delaware, Speckled Sussex, GLW. Guess if I end up with any Delaware looking chicks I'll know right away they are cockrels. Any idea what you get if you cross RIR roo with Speckled Sussex or GLW?

Last edited:
No but good luck on yor first hatch...I will be joining the fun and games real soon....
fl.gif

No idea on your crosses, but good luck with your hatch. If your LG is a still air model, you will want to get your temp a bit higher to 101. If it has a fan, it is fine where it is. I hope you have a great hatch!

It is a still air model. The temp reading is coming from the top of the egg trays. The directions showed 99.5 w/ an auto turner and 101 w/o an autoturner.

Edited to add: Should I be concerned?

Last edited:
Good luck on your first hatch! I just finished my first one with the same set up as you are using. I kept my temp most of the time at 99.5 sometimes went to 101. I got really good chick developement so I know all went well till the end. I struggled keeping humidity up and only 12 hatched out of 28. The rest were shrink wrapped.Not bad for a first time, I hear, but will definately keep that in mind on how to improve next time. Anyway, there are lots of great mentors here at BYC to help. Have fun & good luck!

pop.gif

I got my LG early for my birthday .. just set it up last nite. As soon as I locate some eggs, I'll be right behind you.

(And when yours hatch, I'll have to come see ....)

deb .. in Montgomery.

That will be fun! If my hens were laying as usual I'd give you some eggs. After we got that "snow" they went from 15 eggs a day down to 1 -3 eggs per day. The last few days I've only been getting 1 egg.

I do know that Conroe Feeders Supply in downtown Conroe has been collecting phone numbers for people who have fertilized eggs for sale. I'm on their list and have gotten some calls. They have at least one other number.

10:35 am - Bator temp is back up to 99. I caught Sunshine (New Hampshire Red) leaving the nest and added her egg from this am to the bator.

Back
Top Bottom