First time Hatch just went into lock down ....nervous!

Help! I might have a problem with a chick... :(( So one of the chicks I had to move to the larger basket area was still attched to half of the eggshell by a string. I just moved chick and eggshell together thinking it would just fall off. Its been a couple of hours now (at least) and this little baby is still struggling with this attached to his butt. There is no blood, it looks completely dry and poor thing looks exhausted from dragging it around. Even the other chicks are pecking at it like they are trying to help him. What to do?? I have 4 more chicks that hatched on the higher dangerous level so wondering if I should do another quick transfer and do something to help this little guy at the same time. Can I just cut it off closer to the egg end?

Thanks for any quick reply... I wish this was facebook so I could tag someone..lol..
idunno.gif

Mine had that too...just let it be. You don't want to detatch it because you can cause abdomen injury. It will eventually dry and fall off. It's yolk sack was absorbed....right?

Thank you all for the help :) I did go and check out those links. What my chick had didn't look like any of those. Just a dry tiny like strink hanging on to the shell. Poor thing was dragging it and other chicks laying on the shell etc. I did finally snip it close to the shell and put him in the brooder with the others. At first he seems really tired compared to the others but I think it may just be that his legs hadn't gotten strong by trying to stand and move since he was held down. He seems to be fine now, eating and drinking and moving about.

I do see I have another one similar to that who is still attached but this one is juicy not dried but he is pretty brand new. I will watch and see how it goes. Its seems crazy because I was preparing myself for just a few or even no chicks to make it on my first go round but so far I have 21! I still have 21 more in there. Half of them are not even to day 21 yet which would be tomorrow.

Fingers crossed all continues to do well
yippiechickie.gif
Thanks again everyone
hugs.gif

Thank you all for the help :) I did go and check out those links. What my chick had didn't look like any of those. Just a dry tiny like strink hanging on to the shell. Poor thing was dragging it and other chicks laying on the shell etc. I did finally snip it close to the shell and put him in the brooder with the others. At first he seems really tired compared to the others but I think it may just be that his legs hadn't gotten strong by trying to stand and move since he was held down. He seems to be fine now, eating and drinking and moving about.

I do see I have another one similar to that who is still attached but this one is juicy not dried but he is pretty brand new. I will watch and see how it goes. Its seems crazy because I was preparing myself for just a few or even no chicks to make it on my first go round but so far I have 21! I still have 21 more in there. Half of them are not even to day 21 yet which would be tomorrow.

yippiechickie.gif
Thanks again everyone
hugs.gif

Wow! You will have your hands full! My lil guy had his dry embelical stub fall off after about 3 days. I threw some antibiotic on it. Perfectly perky and no issues on that front...

They say if they are still attached and the yolk sack there just put him in a little ceramic mug and check back in a couple hours...hopefully, it is done absorbing. Sometimes, things just take time.

Ok, I'm going to go check on him again now and if its too juicy etc.. I may do that with the mug :) I will update tomorrow. Goodnight, I'm exhausted!

yippiechickie.gif
Thanks again everyone
hugs.gif
So happy your hatch is going so well! Congrats!

Wow! You will have your hands full! My lil guy had his dry embelical stub fall off after about 3 days. I threw some antibiotic on it. Perfectly perky and no issues on that front...

They say if they are still attached and the yolk sack there just put him in a little ceramic mug and check back in a couple hours...hopefully, it is done absorbing. Sometimes, things just take time.
The only time you need the mug trick is if they haven't absorbed the yolk yet. The umbilical should dry up and fall off on its own. However, if the shell is still attached and they are dragging it, the shell needs to be removed because pulling on that umbilical can damage them.

Back
Top Bottom