First Time Hatcher Hatch-A-Long

It will be so exciting to see the variety of chick colors with such an assortment! Curious to see how much more difficult it is (if at all) when candling the dark eggs. Please share as you do!

The genetics say that most of the chicks will be black. Some might be blue if Ramses fertilized them -- I've seen both Ludwig and Rameses mating various girls. I could get splash if Ramses mated with a Blue Australorp who was laying.

Also, any barred chicks will be male -- though not all males will be barred.

I'm in! I set 18 shipped eggs (silkie and polish) last Thursday, but they got thrashed in shipping so I suspect most are not viable. After I candle and remove the duds tonight, planning to fill the open space in the incubator with Polish eggs from a local breeder that I picked up an assortment from the other day...some Blue, Buff, White, Chocolate, Silver Laced, Cuckoo, and a handful of Tolbunts :fl Batch one (if any) should hatch 3/3, and I'm looking forward to the Polish party 6 days later on the 9th.

The genetics say that most of the chicks will be black. Some might be blue if Ramses fertilized them -- I've seen both Ludwig and Rameses mating various girls. I could get splash if Ramses mated with a Blue Australorp who was laying.

Also, any barred chicks will be male -- though not all males will be barred.
Interesting! How do you know all barred are male? (You can PM me if you want I don’t want to clutter thr thread!)

Interesting! How do you know all barred are male? (You can PM me if you want I don’t want to clutter thr thread!)

Both my males are non-barred so they have no barred gene to pass to their daughters but sons of the barred hens (and 50% of sons from the California White), will inherit the barred gene from their mother.

Back
Top Bottom