First time hatching and Murphy's Law seems to be in full effect

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Naliez, Aug 12, 2015.

1. Thank you, AmyLynn but I couldn't expect much with the 130-degree mistake I made....I just can't turn it off and dispose of the eggs because if something did survive, and I killed it now, I would hate myself. With a second bator, I can go ahead with another hatch while the remaining hope dies, lol.

2. Naliez

Naliez Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2015

That's what I did! Lol

3. Naliez

May 7, 2015
    Was there any development before the temp spiked? Can you post pics?

4. Naliez

May 7, 2015
    Are the embryos very still before hatch? I still haven't QUITE given up yet on the line Serama egg. He's in lockdown. I put him in a day early. I played the chicken "music" for him and I THINK I saw rocking. Could be hopeful thinking, and if not, I still have a pretty solid batch of Silkies due for lockdown this Sunday. This whole hatching business is causing me way more anxiety/excitement/stress than I had anticipated. Lol Now watch me get all cockerels! :/

5. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I very seldom see "rocking" before the pip. I concluded my eggs in ALL of my hatches just really wanted to make it a surprise...lol Seriously, some you see rocking others you don't until the pip.

6. Naliez

May 7, 2015
    Husband is rooting for this little guy so hard. I really think he quit... BUT I did notice that the liquid decreased some and the rocking was more like a quiver, so maybe he's playing tricks on us. Or maybe I have been staring at the egg so hard for so long, I'm seeing things... That is a real possibility. ;)

7. Naliez

May 7, 2015
    Also, how do you know if there's an internal pip?

8. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    For most it's hearing a chirp inside the egg. Generally hatchers don't "see" an internal pip because it is during lockdown when it's customary to not be candling. But if you candle during an internal pip you will see a shadow up in the air cell moving. Usually roughly traingular. This is the beak.

9. Naliez

May 7, 2015
    Ok, so if he died later, right before lockdown, will I see a blood ring? How long after quitting will a blood ring show?

10. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Not usually. Blood rings are usually prevelant after deaths in early development. It's much harder to tell at the end of the incubation. Usually the veining receeding, lack of movement, "sloshy" eggs, not "normal looking development" are how you conclude a late death.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by