First time hatching duck eggs :)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AimsChickies, May 17, 2009.

1. AimsChickies

AimsChickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    SW Florida
    I found some runner duck eggs locally today and am getting the bator ready to put them in tomorrow. I'm so excited! hatched chicken and quail many times, but never ducks! Any tips/suggestions?

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Runners take about 29 days to hatch. The temp is the same as chicken eggs, but the humidity should be at least 65% during incubation. Raise the humidity to at least 80% for the hatch, and you'll be fine. You can mist and cool the eggs everyday after day 4 if you wish, but it is not necessary. To do this, just take the top (if you have a styro bator) of the incubator off, allow the eggs to cool for 10-15 minutes, spritz the egg directly with room temp water, and put the top back on. Just don't forget to put the top back on! And don't laugh, it's not that easy to remember! [​IMG]

Oh, and if you do cool and mist the eggs, you'll continue to do this until you see a pip. Ducks can take from 24-48 hours to hatch after first pip, so make sure you sit on your hands [​IMG]

Last edited: May 17, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by