First time hatching eggs with broody hen

For future reference, if she didn't crack the shells when she shoved them out, give them back to her & let her try again. You were only on day 2. No way to tell if they had even started to develop yet at that point without cracking them open & even then may have been too early to see more than a little blood speck. As for your current question, yes, sometimes it takes longer than the standard 21 days for an egg to hatch. It all depends on breed & the regulation of the temps. If it has been colder out it could even take an extra week to hatch. Lower temps slow development inside the egg.

Thank you. I'll remember that for next time. I thought she kicked the other eggs out because they weren't fertile at all (or she figured out they weren't hers, but she's sat on a plastic egg for a while).

It's been very hot here. Some days the temperature has reached 35 degrees. Maybe the egg got overheated.

My broody pekin is sitting on some bought eggs, I was rather anxious to see this morning, when checking on her, that she has ditched out 6 of the 12 eggs. They were stone cold and we are 2 weeks into her sitting. I put them back under her but am not feeling too optomistic about their outcome.

If she boots them out again candle before giving them back. At 2 weeks in she may be trying to remove the duds. OR...she could have accidently knocked them out trying to rearrange her nest. That's where the candling comes in handy.

My broody pekin is sitting on some bought eggs, I was rather anxious to see this morning, when checking on her, that she has ditched out 6 of the 12 eggs. They were stone cold and we are 2 weeks into her sitting. I put them back under her but am not feeling too optomistic about their outcome.
welcome-byc.gif
I've had this happen a few times with my hens. Just replace the eggs and let her warm them up again. It takes awhile for the core temperature of the eggs to drop, so though the egg will feel ice cold, the embryo will still be o.k. in there. Good luck with your hatch!

Thanks Old English GB, I will do. She has been leaving the nest every day to feed etc and there is a little lip to her nesting area and this is the first time this has happened. I hope it was just an accident but when they get cold at this late stage of the game, isnt it just too late? I took one cold egg and put it under another broody. Just experimenting at this desperate stage!!

I had a broody misplace an egg once and it rolled out into the rain! By the time I found it, it was sopping wet and ice cold. I put it back under the hen and it hatched 3 days later.

No way!! That is amazing. Did that egg hatch later than the other eggs? It goes against all I have learn't about eggs and keeping them warm.. this is a great place to learn from others. Thanks for your feedback!!

Back
Top Bottom