First Time Hatching - incubator edition

Which incubator would be good on shipped eggs? I have eggs coming around the 26th — 4 partridge cochins & 4 speckled Sussexs + whatever extra eggs Meyer’s decides to ship — and wasn’t sure if I should put them in Hatch Batch or the styrofoam incubator. Both have egg turners but the difference is on their side and rolling or going back and forth with the bottoms up

I hatch my shipped eggs in the NR360s as well, even when the air cells are saddled or jiggly. The only exception to this is when I have a completely detached air cell that floats around like a bubble. I would definitely put those in an upright turner at least until the air cell re-attaches.

I hatch my shipped eggs in the NR360s as well, even when the air cells are saddled or jiggly. The only exception to this is when I have a completely detached air cell that floats around like a bubble. I would definitely put those in an upright turner at least until the air cell re-attaches.
Okay, so it’ll depend on how the air cells are? I know you’re supposed to let the eggs settle with the big end up for 24 hours before putting them in the incubator.

Okay, so it’ll depend on how the air cells are? I know you’re supposed to let the eggs settle with the big end up for 24 hours before putting them in the incubator.

Yes, allow them to rest in a carton upright for 8-24 hours, I'm impatient so it's usually closer to the 8-10 hours side. I also feel like there is less benefit to allowing them to settle as there is to setting fresher eggs and you already lose time in shipping. I get the very best hatch rates from the freshest eggs. I communicated with one of the breeders shipping eggs, he sipped fresh eggs, I got really lucky and received the eggs in like 2 days and set them after allowing them to rest for about 8 hours. I then put them directly into the horizontal turner in the NR360. I had a 100% hatch, 12 out of 12 eggs hatched, that's almost unheard of for shipped eggs so there was a bit of luck involved too. Even the cracked egg that I repaired with nail polish hatched.

6-3-20 (3).JPG 6-3-20 Ducky.JPG

Okay, so it’ll depend on how the air cells are?

I haven't had any issues setting saddled or "jiggly" air cells in the horizontal turner. I just monitor them closely but the air cells usually improve as the chicks develop. If the air cell is completely detached like in this video of the goose egg, I would absolutely set them upright until the air cell re-attaches, yes.

Oh no! I put eggs in pointy end up! It’s day 3 so these eggs are ruined... correct?? I didn’t do enough homework it seems.

@cluckingheck @CluckNDoodle
Thanks for being so thorough and documenting everything here. I was sitting in my blind catching up on everything. When I saw I had screwed up I came out of the woods in a hurry. My chickens probably thought something was after me! Thanks Doodle for keeping up and sending the quick advice! 🙏

No problem at all! We all learned from someone at some point! Good luck on your hatch!

my thermometer and heat lamp are probably as old as that but the requirements for hatching eggs has not changed in centuries. What has changed is our understanding of the process and the technology we use. Thermometers certainly have gotten better. I decided to upgrade for my new attempt and got a govee thermometer. It is far more sensitive and accurate, sends the readings to my phone and alerts me if the temps go out of range. Well worth the $13

Back
Top Bottom