First Time Hatching - incubator edition

Pics
The pip looks perfect, the air cell draws down significantly right before hatch as you can see in this image where I marked the air cell on day 17 and where the air cell lit up on day 20.

View attachment 2497652
Okay, was wanting to be sure. There hasn’t been anymore progress with it yet. I assume that’s normal?

Okay, was wanting to be sure. There hasn’t been anymore progress with it yet. I assume that’s normal?

Yes that's normal. It can take up to 24 hours from external pip to zip. They internally pip, begin to start using their lungs for the first time, as carbon dioxide builds up in the shell it stimulates the chick to make that external pip allowing oxygen to enter the egg, right now the chick is working on absorbing the yolk sac and blood vessels surrounding it on the internal membranes. Once all of that is complete they will begin pecking at the pip and rotating, pecking as they go, that's the zip.

quick question: should I put these chicks on medicated chick starter?

That's up to you. I don't raise my chicks on medicated chick starter, I never have but I've also never had an issue with coccidiosis. If you've had a problem with coccidiosis in the past then it might be something worth considering for you.

That's up to you. I don't raise my chicks on medicated chick starter, I never have but I've also never had an issue with coccidiosis. If you've had a problem with coccidiosis in the past then it might be something worth considering for you.
Yeah, there is a history. I didn’t have a problem with it when I first started with these chicks’ parents but the three chicks my broody hatched out in November contracted it around December. Not sure where they got it from, but the coop and property was owned previously and he had chickens ( he had major issues with a fox or coyote that eventually killed all his chickens ) too but I don’t know how many years since he had his last chicken until we bought the property last year and I got my chickens in March. My brother also bought goats not long after my broody hatched her chicks, but I know the coccsidiosis that infects goats can’t infect chickens. Though, I can’t help but think there’s some kind of correlation there.

C799DF12-0E7B-4F18-B162-EE0B5B90BA32.jpeg

i really wish the resolution was better, but Im not home so I checked on the eggs with the camera and am I seeing things or does it look like he started zipping????

Yeah, there is a history. I didn’t have a problem with it when I first started with these chicks’ parents but the three chicks my broody hatched out in November contracted it around December. Not sure where they got it from, but the coop and property was owned previously and he had chickens ( he had major issues with a fox or coyote that eventually killed all his chickens ) too but I don’t know how many years since he had his last chicken until we bought the property last year and I got my chickens in March. My brother also bought goats not long after my broody hatched her chicks, but I know the coccsidiosis that infects goats can’t infect chickens. Though, I can’t help but think there’s some kind of correlation there.

Coccidiosis is in the soil. It's kind of a complicated thing if you start reading in to it your head will start spinning with different opinions on it, lol. I just stick to what works for me and if I begin to have issues I'll change my practices. My thoughts are, if you lost chicks to it then there's no harm in feeding it to your chicks for a period of time while they're becoming accustomed to what is found in your soil. After a few days to a week you can bring a clump of grass with dirt attached for them to peck at and eat as well. Just make sure to give the chicks chick grit if they eat anything other than the chick feed.

I remember my first time incubating! It was a blast, the hardest thing to do is to just let them be! As much as they look like they are struggling or giving up I wait till day 23-25 to intervene. I had one take 24 hours to come out after externally pipping it was agonizing to watch! I don't know if you mentioned this but for lockdown you cranked your humidity to about 65% right?

Back
Top Bottom