First Time Hatching...Looking for some advice

Mountainmamaof4

Chirping
Apr 7, 2020
Westcliffe, CO
This is my first hatch and we are half way through day 22 and only 2 chicks have hatched out of 12. The other 10 have not pipped. I am moving the 2 chicks to the brooder this evening. What should I do with the remaining 10 eggs? I have someone that is interested in getting hatching eggs from me but I don’t feel comfortable selling them to her if I don’t get a decent hatch. Please share with me your helpful advice and tips. I am already getting my next batch of eggs ready for incubation as I am determined to be successful and able to sustain my own flock.

I’m still a novice but don’t give up on the other 10 yet. I think most people recommend you wait until day 25 before giving up.
Before you take the 2 hatchlings out, make sure no other eggs have pipped because humidity will drop when you open the incubator and that might jeopardise any other hatching eggs.

I let mine stay in the bator 24 hours or so after they hatch. Its a quick grab and go I know its hard by yourself just be as fast as possible. I also let my eggs go 25 days or so. What type of bator do you use and usual conditions are you dealing with.

I let mine stay in the bator 24 hours or so after they hatch. Its a quick grab and go I know its hard by yourself just be as fast as possible. I also let my eggs go 25 days or so. What type of bator do you use and usual conditions are you dealing with.
I am using the nurture right 360. I live up in the mountains in Colorado and we use a wood stove for heat so it is VERY dry here. This is my first time hatching so I decided to try a dry hatch. I thought it might be easier to maintain 25-30% humidity since it is so dry here anyway.

From what I’ve read it seems like people do a “dry” hatch if they live in a humid place. I have never tried one myself.

I would add water to increase the humidity and wait until day 25.

I feel you! My first hatch I set 12 and Only 2 hatched! I blame it on a storm and power outage but it was Most likely operator error 😉
My hatch rate success has increased with each hatch ( I set my eggs to hatch on the first of the month to make it easier to keep track of age). My last hatch was 24 and 21 hatched. What I've learned? Humidity control is So Important. And....dont open the incubator lid because it messes with the Very important humidity balance.
I've had to "help" hatch an egg with water on a qtip (hands shaking So Bad) because the membrane dried and mummified the chick😲 She survived but some haven't so i just add water set it and forget it. Whew. Intense learning curve.
Do you Hear any peeping in the other eggs?

I feel you! My first hatch I set 12 and Only 2 hatched! I blame it on a storm and power outage but it was Most likely operator error 😉
My hatch rate success has increased with each hatch ( I set my eggs to hatch on the first of the month to make it easier to keep track of age). My last hatch was 24 and 21 hatched. What I've learned? Humidity control is So Important. And....dont open the incubator lid because it messes with the Very important humidity balance.
I've had to "help" hatch an egg with water on a qtip (hands shaking So Bad) because the membrane dried and mummified the chick😲 She survived but some haven't so i just add water set it and forget it. Whew. Intense learning curve.
Do you Hear any peeping in the other eggs?
I don’t hear anything from the other eggs☹️ My eggs are blue and green and I had a difficult time seeing anything when I candled them on day 10 and 14 so I’m curious as to whether they are even fertilized.

I don’t hear anything from the other eggs☹️ My eggs are blue and green and I had a difficult time seeing anything when I candled them on day 10 and 14 so I’m curious as to whether they are even fertili
Awww dang. After you remove the 2 living chicks, maybe pick up each egg and give it a gentle tap with your fingernail..you Should hear a peep. If not, they probably either weren't fertilized or did not develop. I waited a few days after no noise and I noticed an odor...so I was done. My temp and humidity was wrong but I forgave myself and tried again. Blessings to you 💜

Back
Top Bottom