First Time Hatching....Round 2

Kathryn4629

Songster
9 Years
Mar 4, 2010
Colbert, WA
As the the first time hatchers head into another round of hatching (round 2) this thread has come into play.

We all learned so much from each other on the last thread! So we are going to start a new one. Lets keep the great information flowing and share all of our tips and tricks that we have learned along the way.

This time it would be great if everyone would PM me some information about your hatching timeline. I will post the information on the first post and do my very best to keep it up to date. If you have already sent me info and would like to edit it, just let me know.

Infomation needed
Type of incubator, turner?:
Set date/Hatch date:
What kinds/breeds of eggs your are setting:
A fun fact you would like to include:

demp4
Used Little giant
1st Hatched March 11
Misc eggs...

Started raising chickens in 2009 so we can now where our eggs are coming from now we are hatching our own. And I think I want to get into selling the chicks... maybe??!!

Second Hatch
DUE April 5th
8 silkies and some misc.

~Melanie
Bridgeport, NY

latebloomer
Hovabator 1602N retrofitted with a circulated fan on day seven
10 bbs orpington eggs shipped
lost in the mail two days
one power outage
five hatches out of ten (hoping for for more)

Hannah Hen
Snow Hill, NC
LG incubator with fan and auto turner.
Set 3 Millie Fluer D'uccle and 24 Buff Orpington eggs Hatched 2 D'uccles and 17 BO.

Kathryn4629
LG incubator with auto turner
Collecting eggs to set, and waiting on a auction to end
B orpington X EE roo and 1 Cochin hen in the mix + hopefully some special (pure bred) eggs soon.

PeckingOrder
Type of incubator, turner?: Self-Made Computer controlled incubator, with automated 8 hour turner.
Set date/Hatch date: 04/02/2011
What kinds/breeds of eggs your are setting: 2x Light West Sussex
A fun fact you would like to include: Majority of girlfriends chickens got taken by a fox, would like to give her a couple of baby chickens to ease the pain.

KFchickenlady:
13 Buff and Black Silkies
LG with air and turner
Hatch date April 4
fun fact: I found out my other hatch was at 102... and Im not candling till lockdown

ItsAZOO32
Still Air Hova-bator 1620n. Hand turned
Set on 2/27 (actually late on 2/26 so it doesn't count); Hatch DUE 3/19
What kinds/breeds of eggs your are setting: Mutts the first time (EE's, Leghorn/Cochin/Sussex/RIR/White Rock)
A fun fact you would like to include: I don't even have a coop yet and I'm about to order my second group of eggs I am truly and addict
Jessica

texaschickmom
Genesis 1588 with turner
Set 3/16, hatch date 4/6
25 Black Sex Link
I'm hoping/praying for more pullets this time.

Martha in Lindale, TX

Long Last Farm
Used a Brinsea eco 20 with automatic turner
set 24 barnyard mix eggs from my own flock on friday 2/25
5 were infertile found during candling
19 went into lockdown on Tues 3/15
got 18/19 to hatch
Setting Banties

Last edited:
Well my granddaughter and I are getting ready for our second go. The incubator is plugged in and we have been collecting some of our Burbon Red turkey eggs which we plan to set tomorrow. Next week we will add some more of our D'uccles and maybe a few Buff Orpington. Due date should be 4/13. We will be keeping everyone up to date on our progress.

Well I set ours last night at 10pm... 8 silkies and 12 mix of other RIR, orpingtons, americauna

Hoping this goes better than the first hatch!

Quote:
I am also hoping to set on Friday!!
big_smile.png

We are quite the group! Our next thread may be a ten step program.

I had planned to wait a couple weeks before I tried again, but nooooooo....I have to go for it it now.

Tonight I bought some hatching eggs on Ebay - Cochins and Blue Marans. Either I am an optimist or I just don't learn..... I am hoping for a much better hatch this time. After only one hatch I already feel a LOT smarter! I will most likely set the eggs this Sunday. It will be interesting to see if the Sportsman does a better job with shipped eggs. By the way, I was able to sell the LG for a good price on Craigslist over the weekend.

I just hope I don't end up with hundreds of chickens because I can't stop hatching! We will be eating a lot of eggs (and chicken).

yippiechickie.gif

grr.

well let me first say this is my own fault.

i purchased some eggs that i paid for with paypal. by mistake i used my home address, which is the default with paypal. if the eggs get delivered to my house they stay outside until i get home to get them; if i have them shipped to my office, which i meant to do, they'd be inside.

i've contacted the seller three times about switching the address, admitting it was my fault, appreciate this very much, yada, yada, yada....

no response.

according to the postal service the package is going to be delivered today. it's forty degrees out. i'm concerned.

it's noon now, i'm usually home by five. the package isn't showing that it's been delivered and i was home about half an hour ago.

would five or so hours at forty degrees (maybe dropping) the kiss of death?

I think you still have a chance for at least some of them to hatch--Look at all the folks who have hatched Trader Joe fertile eggs,etc., after the eggs have been refrigerated for days sometimes....Good luck!
fl.gif

I hope the eggs get there only minutes before you!

I can't seem to get my humidity above 45% anyone having any tips?? I am using a sponge on a shallow plate with water. and we are hand turning....

Dang it I lost the auction that I thought I would win
sad.png

Now I am debating what kind of eggs to buy again.

Thinking about:

Black copper marans
LF cochins
Pure/pure ameraucanas
Lavender Orpingtons
Some silkies, Personally I dont like silkies. They kind of freak me out
hide.gif
and they are bantam. But my mom has been begging me to raise her some silkies, sooo.....

I am also thinking about resale value if I decide to sell chicks, and or sell hatching eggs.

Anyone have any good input? What would you choose? Why?

Back
Top Bottom