First time hatching!

FullMoonPoultry

In the Brooder
Jan 28, 2023
I have two eggs that have piped, and it's just the initial poke hole. One egg is wiggling around a lot the other is still. It's been about 3 ish hours with no progress other than wiggling. Is that okay? I'm an anxious mess lol

I have two eggs that have piped, and it's just the initial poke hole. One egg is wiggling around a lot the other is still. It's been about 3 ish hours with no progress other than wiggling. Is that okay? I'm an anxious mess lol
It's perfectly okay! Take a deep breath and relax. They often poke that first hole to get a good air supply, and then go back to sleep. Hatching is very hard business and expends a ton of effort. They get tired and need to rest, that's all. You should see zipping begin within 24 hours after that first external pip.

Oh, and resist the temptation to 'help' the chicks out of their shells. They spend this last day or so absorbing the remainder of their yolk, and the blood vessels in the shell membrane will begin to dry up. Enjoy the show! :jumpy

It's perfectly okay! Take a deep breath and relax. They often poke that first hole to get a good air supply, and then go back to sleep. Hatching is very hard business and expends a ton of effort. They get tired and need to rest, that's all. You should see zipping begin within 24 hours after that first external pip.
Thank you haha my husband is teasing me for watching them through the incubator window so much haha! He says I wasn't even this anxious when I was the one waiting to have our baby 😂 It's my first time ever having babies from an animal I raised myself so they're a special bunch to me!

Hey I’m new to this site I had a question real quick this is my first time incubating egg. I’m currently on day 36 they are Muscovy eggs and I got worried about one of them and opened the air pocked to check on him and was curious if the membrane was looking alright or if I should do something the duckling makes a chewing motion with it’s beak of if I should continue to just give it time and what’s the proper way to keep the membrane healthy and wet with out harming it and if I should separate it from the rest of the eggs or keep it in the incubator. Thank you for any help. Btw I circled were I am 99% sure the red circle is the beak

Attachments

• CED8730F-16B1-461D-AB98-F56D7DB847F5.jpeg
    CED8730F-16B1-461D-AB98-F56D7DB847F5.jpeg
    336.5 KB · Views: 3
Hey I’m new to this site I had a question real quick this is my first time incubating egg. I’m currently on day 36 they are Muscovy eggs and I got worried about one of them and opened the air pocked to check on him and was curious if the membrane was looking alright or if I should do something the duckling makes a chewing motion with it’s beak of if I should continue to just give it time and what’s the proper way to keep the membrane healthy and wet with out harming it and if I should separate it from the rest of the eggs or keep it in the incubator. Thank you for any help. Btw I circled were I am 99% sure the red circle is the beak
Oh my goodness, you do NOT want the membrane to dry out! Moisten it with some coconut oil or mineral oil on a Q-tip. Keep it in the incubator, with the humidity set to 70-80%. I'd very carefully prick a hole in the membrane where the beak is located to help him breathe. Carefully, so you don't sever a blood vessel.

Keep us posted with updates, and pictures! So eggciting! How many eggs are you hatching?
I've got 15 in lockdown! 2 hatched around 245 am. No other signs of piping from the others. Air sack is huge, but I'm not seeing much movement. I candles to check because two days ago we lost power for 2 hours and it got down to 78 in the broaders. Is it like human pregnancy that close to birth movement is slow?

Attachments

• 20230201_103630.jpg
    20230201_103630.jpg
    599.9 KB · Views: 1
I don't think that 2 hours would make any difference, at this point (I had one hatch after 2 days at 60-deg!). Patience, grasshopper. I'm not sure about movement, but I know they rest a whole lot before the final push. It's okay to make a small 'safety hole' in the air sac, to be sure they're getting enough air and to see what's going on inside.

Back
Top Bottom