First Time Hatching!

hmschlmom5

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 7, 2014
I have 24 eggs in the incubator. I was told only 40% would hatch, so I expected 9. #10 is zipping as I type. Today is day 21, 1 hatched yesterday, 3 over night and we have watched the others hatch today. I had to take one out of the bator bc she was not moving and being trampled. She is dry, under light and was given some electrolyte drops. She seems a little better but may have an injury to her left leg. Others all seem to be doing well. How long do I leave them all in the incubator? At what point do I take them out and put in the brooder with electrolyte water? I was told to leave them in until they all hatched or 3 days, that seems long to me. Thank you for your help!

I normally have broodies, but when I hatch with a incubator I set the chickens in the chick box when they are dry. So they have more space to move and have something to eat and to drink. The energy from the yolk should last a day, but I think that some need more energy to hatch then others and need some extra energy. Water or herbal tea with some vitamin/electrolytes, chicken starter and bird sand sit next to the heating plate so they have what they need close by. ... and don't forget to show them the water.
With the injury on the leg... sometimes you can tape the legs and they heal fast, but not knowing what kind of injury it is, it's hard to tell what to do.
And Congrats, what breed are they?

Thank you. I have an Americana Roo and the following hens: Red Stars, Americanas, Cuckoo Marans, Buff Orpingtons and Silver laced Wynadottes, so there is a mix.

Back
Top Bottom