First time here, found my rooster's comb bit/torn off

AwardMutea

In the Brooder
Oct 30, 2016
Hello, I joined this forum specificaly because of this. Im new at raising chicken though now that I am I wish I started much earlier. Anyway I have two roosters I keep separate because they cant stand each other. Today however one of them managed to get out of its coop and I found its comb torn off completely and dripping Blood. Im not sure if its their fighting which caused it or some other animal. Anyway it looks painful and I need to know if it could be fatal and what to do.
Thanks.

Ps: I built my first DIY coop with help from this forum before I joined so Thanks to the owners of this platform and members.

Sorry about your injured roo. Roosters do NOT usually get along if they know there are hens around. If you cannot keep the roos occupied with their own flocks, I would suggest rehoming one of them. The next fight may end with a dead rooster - probably the gentlest one.

welcome-byc.gif
Great to have a another poultry over!

Well hello everybody and that was fast, im loving this community more and more. The rooster looks fine and is going about his business as usual though he does cut quite a depressing figure without his comb. I washed the wound with salty water but Ill stil apply the jelly and post it to the emergencies section just in case. I do keep them separate because its not the first time they've gotten into a bloody fight, I might have left the coop door unlatched or something.Its still in with the other hens however,so I will separate it so they dont peck at the wound.
Again thanks everyone for the help, I also have a brooding hen with 6 eggs on its 1st week so Ill be back for more help soon
:D.
Lovely day.

I am glad to hear he is starting to feel better! Yes, you almost always get extremely fast responses here, you never have to wait long. It is a great site!

Back
Top Bottom