First time incubating...and the hatching has begun

SydneyAdair

In the Brooder
Mar 21, 2020
Hello! So I have a Brinsea Mini on loan from the local 4H extension office. I am a teacher who got the (AWESOME) responsibility of taking home our chicks we were hatching as part of our life cycles unit when the school closings started. Fiance and I were planning on chickens regardless, we're just taking a different-than-expected route lol. So we are on day 19, and I had a chick full on pip and hatch on day 18. This little one was making noise in the egg, prior to pipping, and it was so amazing! The other eggs are not as active, or active at all. I've tried avoiding opening the incubator at all costs, I've kept humidity up, temp where it needs to be. I candled right before I put the incubator on lock down, and they all seemed to be doing great. Even moving. I'm just worried they wont hatch at all, considering they aren't showing any signs like little Solo (we have decided to call the current chick). Thoughts? Am I just being impatient or was Solo an "exception."

TIA

Pic of baby Solo because I'm so darn excited!!

Attachments

• IMG_7092.jpg
    IMG_7092.jpg
    253 KB · Views: 8
I'd say Solo was the exception. Where did the eggs come from? If Solo's egg got a bit warm prior to being incubated that would have kick started development.

I found that out with quail. It's been hot at my end of the world so the eggs we collected from the aviary that had been warmed by the weather all hatched on day 15.

They were dropped off by our 4H extension person. So there is a good chance that maybe they weren't all the "same" in terms of starting point? I still have two RIR and two White Leghorns, so they definitely aren't all from the same chicken.

It's the most likely explanation. Hopefully the others won't be too far behind but they may be more like day 20/21.

Good luck for the rest of the hatch. Solo sure is a cutie. Hopefully s/he will have some friends soon.

There are different reasons a chick can hatch early or late. Heredity, how and how long the egg was stored before incubation began, just differences in the eggs, or maybe the spot in the incubator was extra warm (or cool if late).

I've had entire hatches be two full days early, both under a broody hen and in my incubator. I've had some pretty much on time with both broodies and the incubator. I've had hatches totally over with in less than 24 hours after the first one hatches, I've had hatches drag on into the third day. I remember one hatch where one chick came out two days early and then nothing for over 24 hours. No pips, no peeping, no egg movement. When I woke up the next morning several chicks were out and the remainder of the other 16 were out just after lunchtime. Each hatch is different, sometimes you just shake your head.

I don't know what is going on with your hatch but what you said isn't surprising. I wish you luck with the rest.

There are different reasons a chick can hatch early or late. Heredity, how and how long the egg was stored before incubation began, just differences in the eggs, or maybe the spot in the incubator was extra warm (or cool if late).

I've had entire hatches be two full days early, both under a broody hen and in my incubator. I've had some pretty much on time with both broodies and the incubator. I've had hatches totally over with in less than 24 hours after the first one hatches, I've had hatches drag on into the third day. I remember one hatch where one chick came out two days early and then nothing for over 24 hours. No pips, no peeping, no egg movement. When I woke up the next morning several chicks were out and the remainder of the other 16 were out just after lunchtime. Each hatch is different, sometimes you just shake your head.

I don't know what is going on with your hatch but what you said isn't surprising. I wish you luck with the rest.
Thank you so much! That puts my mind at ease!

Back
Top Bottom