First time incubating duck eggs

ashort

Hatching
Apr 14, 2015
Driscoll, texas
Hello,
I ordered eggs from An online seller. They arrived Friday evening, and I put them in the incubator within an hour. Saturday the temp was 102, so I lowered it. Sunday And Monday it was okay, but the school lost power for several hours between Monday night and Tuesday morning. I brought the incubator (78 degrees) home in a heated vehicle and plugged it in. It's been stable for 4 hours. Do you think the eggs will survive? They are at Day 4 of 28 (Pekin). I am planning to candle them this weekend.

Welcome to BYC!
I think they'll survive. When you order eggs, you should always let them sit out for about 24 hours to settle after their "journey". The temp should be about 99.5, and humidity should be 45%-55%. If the temp is too high, you'll cook them. When you candle, post pics.
I have some duck eggs in my Octagon right now. It's so exciting!
Good luck!

Two weeks ago 18 of 20 showed signs of life. I was so relieved! They have begun hatching as of Wednesday (26 of 28). Today is the official hatch day. When we incubated chickens they seemed to hatch out much more quickly. One of these DUCK eggs has a hole so I know the duckling is breathing and moving, but it hasn't made progress in almost 48 hours. The other ducklings have made more progress in less time. I've sprayed it several times. At what point should I consider helping it a little?

Also a fellow teacher accidentally ran over a nest on Wednesday. She said 4 eggs survived and she brought them to our incubator this morning since she says the mother was not with them. I'm not sure what they are, but they are smaller than my PEKIN eggs and look closer in size to chicken eggs. The nest was near a pond. We will candle them today and see if any are alive, but we don't know when they began incubating.

Good! Glad you're having luck!!
I had one Pekin egg take about 36 hours, and I finally ended up helping it. The membrane was super thick, so I peeled back the shell and membrane enough for it to get out. It had a bloody spot on its belly but we put some aloe Vera gel on it and it disappeared in a few days.
The eggs she found may be Mallard eggs. Mallards' eggs in my experience are Pekin colored but chicken sized.

Back
Top Bottom